Arsenal to Miss Out on Spanish Striker - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 12:47 AM EST
Arsenal are set to face stiff competition from Spanish side Atletico Madrid in the race for David Villa's signature. The Gunners were strongly linked to the 31-year-old Spanish international in January, with Arsene Wenger reportedly mounting a deadline day move.
The Metro reports Wenger will have to contend with Atletico's advances in the summer; the Vicente Calderon team expect to lose highly-rated Colombian international Radamel Falcao at the end of the season, with Premier League champions Manchester City, European champions Chelsea and cross-town rivals Real Madrid believed to be queuing up to sign the South American.
Falcao has scored 18 goals from 19 La Liga starts this season and will command a sizeable fee, which Atletico will use to bring Villa to the capital.
Villa, a World Cup and European Championship winner with Spain and a Champions League winner with Barcelona, is believed to favour a move to the Emirates and the Premier League. However, that may have all changed. Villa has confirmed that he has now become a father for the third time - his wife Patricia has given birth to a boy. And the news is likely to persuade the striker to remain in Spain. Either way, the ex-Valencia forward has struggled to impose himself in Barcelona's first team this season and is eager for regular game time.
Wenger will no doubt hope the Spanish contingent at the Emirates - Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla and Nacho Monreal, as well as youngster Ignasi Miquel - will be able to convince Villa to swap Catalonia and Madrid for north London.
Theo Walcott on Striker Role
Meanwhile, Arsenal forward Theo Walcott has revealed he wants to play as a central striker for the England national side, having impressed in that position with the Gunners.
"I will play anywhere for England and Arsenal, but I do believe I'm a striker and I'm sure in the next few years I'll be playing a bit more regularly," Walcott said, "You need to get into the manager's face at training and prove how good you are. Everything is sorted for me at Arsenal now with the contract and the next test for me is to get my England career back where it should be."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports