England Veteran Reveals Dream of Playing for Country
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 6, 2013 12:45 AM EST
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has revealed he is open to an England recall at any stage of his career. The veteran centre-back was left out of the England squad for last summer's European Championships, for what coach Roy Hodgson called "footballing reasons". Ferdinand, who will turn 35 in November, has failed to appear for the senior squad since then, or even earlier actually.
"I'm no different to anyone else - I love playing for England. If I'm not then I'll keep doing what I'm doing for Manchester United. It is what it is. I'm not being picked. The manager hasn't picked me. If I got picked I'd pack my bags and go straight there," the ex-West Ham defender said.
There was significant controversy in the run up to Euro 2012, with speculation Ferdinand was overlooked as the result of a racism row between Chelsea defender John Terry and Ferdinand's younger brother, Anton Ferdinand; Terry was picked for the squad. Hodgson denied that incident had anything to do with his snubbing of Ferdinand but a repeat of that snubbing, when a replacement was needed for Gary Cahill (Liverpool youngster Martin Kelly was picked), suggested Ferdinand's international career may have been over.
"When it came to bringing another player in, I wasn't going to bring in a player of Rio's age, class, background and experience to be a cover player. The difficult decision was whether to take Rio in the original 23 or not. That took a lot of soul-searching. When Cahill got injured that soul-searching never came up for me again," Hodgson said, defending his decision.
Ferdinand's comments now come against the backdrop of him not having been selected for the England squad to face Brazil in Wednesday's friendly. Terry hasn't been included either but the fact Hodgson has picked United's Chris Smalling is surprising, given the 23-year-old Smalling has made only 11 Premier League appearances this season, compared to Ferdinand's 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date