GSK Spends $900 Million to Raise India Subsidiary Stake
February 6, 2013 12:12 AM EST
GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK.L) has lifted its stake in its publicly-listed Indian consumer healthcare subsidiary to 72.5 percent from 43.2 percent, deepening its footprint in emerging markets and non-prescription products.
David Redfern, GSK's chief strategy officer, said on Tuesday the transaction - valued at 48 billion Indian rupees or 568 million pounds - would further increase exposure to a key emerging market.
"It is a significant vote of confidence in the long-term growth prospects of our consumer healthcare by SavingsApp" href="http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/02/05/glaxosmithkline-india-idINDEE91404U20130205">business in India," he added.
Britain's biggest drugmaker announced plans to acquire larger holdings in both its Indian and Nigerian consumer product businesses in November.
GSK offered 3,900 rupees per share for stock in Indian-based GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (GLSM.NS) during a tender period that ran from January 17 to January 30, with final payment due on or before February 13. The open offer was managed by HSBC.
Shares in the Indian company were 2 percent lower at 3,750 rupees following news of the open offer result, while GSK was 0.5 percent higher, ahead of the group's full-year results on Wednesday.
The drugmaker's Indian arm sells popular brands such as health drink Horlicks, malt-based drink Boost and a multi-vitamin drink VitaHealth, which is marketed to women. It also markets OTC (over-the-counter) drugs such as paracetamol tablet Crocin, painkiller gel Iodex and acidity reliever Eno.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected