GSK Spends $900 Million to Raise India Subsidiary Stake
February 6, 2013 12:12 AM EST
GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK.L) has lifted its stake in its publicly-listed Indian consumer healthcare subsidiary to 72.5 percent from 43.2 percent, deepening its footprint in emerging markets and non-prescription products.
David Redfern, GSK's chief strategy officer, said on Tuesday the transaction - valued at 48 billion Indian rupees or 568 million pounds - would further increase exposure to a key emerging market.
"It is a significant vote of confidence in the long-term growth prospects of our consumer healthcare by SavingsApp" href="http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/02/05/glaxosmithkline-india-idINDEE91404U20130205">business in India," he added.
Britain's biggest drugmaker announced plans to acquire larger holdings in both its Indian and Nigerian consumer product businesses in November.
GSK offered 3,900 rupees per share for stock in Indian-based GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (GLSM.NS) during a tender period that ran from January 17 to January 30, with final payment due on or before February 13. The open offer was managed by HSBC.
Shares in the Indian company were 2 percent lower at 3,750 rupees following news of the open offer result, while GSK was 0.5 percent higher, ahead of the group's full-year results on Wednesday.
The drugmaker's Indian arm sells popular brands such as health drink Horlicks, malt-based drink Boost and a multi-vitamin drink VitaHealth, which is marketed to women. It also markets OTC (over-the-counter) drugs such as paracetamol tablet Crocin, painkiller gel Iodex and acidity reliever Eno.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date