Clubber Sarah-Jane Hulme Defends Taking 4-month Old Son Django to Ear-Splitting Rave
By Toyin Owoseje | February 5, 2013 11:35 PM EST
A mother who provoked outrage after taking her four-month-old baby to a rave has defended her actions.
Sarah-Jane Hulme was slammed as irresponsible and disgraceful after a picture of her at a gig in Aberystwyth, North Wales with son Django emerged online.
In the picture posted on Facebook, the 41-year-old National Trust woodland warden can be seen holding the baby in her arms while revellers dance beside her at the drum and bass gig.
Although the little boy is wearing yellow ear defenders, shocked clubbers at the £15 event raised the alarm.
Police are said to have halted the music two hours later to ask her to come forward, but she left the venue without talking to officers.
A DJ was apparently heard saying : "That is some irresponsible s***."
The viral image of Django at the gig has since stirred a huge response from other mums who have reacted with fury.
One unimpressed viewer wrote: "Is she mad!! anything could have gone wrong poor baby!! :("
Siobhan Freegard, of parenting site Netmums, said: "Anyone taking a baby to a rave is raving mad. A four-month-old needs calm, not booming music, strobe lights and rowdy partygoers. If you want to go out, get a babysitter."
But Hulme insisted that she had done nothing wrong and would never endanger her son's life.
"My daughter Kerry was performing with her band in her home town for the first time and I wanted to be there," she told the Sun.
"What's wrong with that? I don't think I've been irresponsible at all."
According to Hulme, she decided to take the baby as it was more convenient and insists that he slept through the performance. She claimed that officers searched her for drugs on the way into the event but made no comments about her son.
"I breast-feed him so he has to be with me. In France or Spain, parents are encouraged to take their kids to music festivals."
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said: "Following close liaison with social services, Dyfed-Powys Police has been made aware of an incident involving child protection issues and will be monitoring and evaluating this incident."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists