London: Illegal Mini Cab Driver Ellie Feghaly Jailed for Kidnapping and Raping Woman
By Dominic Gover | February 5, 2013 11:29 PM EST
An unlicensed mini cab driver has been jailed for kidnapping a woman at a petrol station and then raping her in a "horrific" attack.
Ellie Feghaly, 44, tricked the victim's male companion into exiting the vehicle at a Tesco garage to seek directions, after the driver apparently got lost taking the pair home from a night out in Leicester Square, central London.
When the 33-year-old woman was alone in the car, Feghaly seized his opportunity by driving off and locking the doors to prevent her escape.
He then drove to a nearby spot in Shadwell, east London, and raped the woman on the back seat of the car.
After the attack the victim raised the alarm by alerting a passer-by. Officers were also alerted by the victim's companion, who made anxious calls to police.
Feghaly's victim was visiting London on business when she was attacked. The cab driver was traced by matching his DNA to the national database.
At Woolwich Crown Court, Feghaly, of Perivale, denied rape. But he was convicted and jailed for nine years.
Det Con Peter Thompson from the MPS Sapphire Command based at Lewisham said: "This man used violence in order to carry out this attack. He was operating as an unlicensed mini-cab driver in Central London.
"The victim had trusted that she would get to her destination safely. However this sexual predator subjected her to this horrific attack despite her pleas for him to stop. I hope that the sentence handed down by the judge goes someway in helping the victim recover from this ordeal."
Feghaly's attack prompted Scotland Yard to renew its advice on using mini-cabs.
A spokesman said: "Never approach a minicab on the street or accept a fare, they are acting illegally, even if they are licensed by Transport for London (TfL). Only black cabs can pick passengers up on the street without a booking.
"When travelling by minicab always book it with a licensed operator, when it arrives check it's for you by getting the driver to confirm your booking details and always sit in the back."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop