Chinese Bridge Collapse Victims Complain About Disparity In Distribution Of Compensation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 10:54 PM EST
After a truck laden with fireworks exploded and destroyed a bridge in Henan Province last Friday, families of the victims are complaining that government officials are not compensating them enough.
Authorities have attempted to strike unequal deals with the families of the victims, offering more compensation to the city residents than country residents, reported the Epoch Times.
Many of the families of the victims are said to be threatened that if they don't sign and accept the compensation quickly, they might land up in getting lesser amount than expected to get.
"Yesterday they talked about payment, but the amount was very small and we did not accept it. They offered us a reward of 50,000 yuan for signing the compensation agreement before twelve today (Monday). But we did not think it is reasonable," the Epoch Times quoted a family member of a victim as saying.
However, China Daily Tuesday reported that the government would equally compensate the families of all the ten victims in accordance with the Supreme People's Court's interpretation of compensation for personal injuries.
The Chinese official media confirmed ten people died of the incident. However, the tally is speculated to be higher than that.
An internet user on the Sina Weibo micro-blogging site said, "I just cannot understand how this road was built."
"How could fireworks be so powerful? Is the viaduct a shoddy construction work?" asked another user, Langren-088, according to the Chinese news agency.
The bridge was opened to traffic in 2001, and no safety risk was found in a test conducted in 2011, reported Xinhua news agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How