Chinese Bridge Collapse Victims Complain About Disparity In Distribution Of Compensation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 10:54 PM EST
After a truck laden with fireworks exploded and destroyed a bridge in Henan Province last Friday, families of the victims are complaining that government officials are not compensating them enough.
Authorities have attempted to strike unequal deals with the families of the victims, offering more compensation to the city residents than country residents, reported the Epoch Times.
Many of the families of the victims are said to be threatened that if they don't sign and accept the compensation quickly, they might land up in getting lesser amount than expected to get.
"Yesterday they talked about payment, but the amount was very small and we did not accept it. They offered us a reward of 50,000 yuan for signing the compensation agreement before twelve today (Monday). But we did not think it is reasonable," the Epoch Times quoted a family member of a victim as saying.
However, China Daily Tuesday reported that the government would equally compensate the families of all the ten victims in accordance with the Supreme People's Court's interpretation of compensation for personal injuries.
The Chinese official media confirmed ten people died of the incident. However, the tally is speculated to be higher than that.
An internet user on the Sina Weibo micro-blogging site said, "I just cannot understand how this road was built."
"How could fireworks be so powerful? Is the viaduct a shoddy construction work?" asked another user, Langren-088, according to the Chinese news agency.
The bridge was opened to traffic in 2001, and no safety risk was found in a test conducted in 2011, reported Xinhua news agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown