Mass Effect Character with Unreal Engine Hints at Next-Gen Console Potential [VIDEO]
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | February 5, 2013 10:49 PM EST
That work on the fourth episode in BioWare’s hugely popular inter-galactic video game franchise, Mass Effect, has already begun is known. Reports in December that suggested BioWare would release Mass Effect 4 in 2014 but those have since proven to be false.
It was confirmed, though, that Mass Effect 4 will use the Frostbite game engine. A blog post in November, by Yanick Roy, the Studio Director for the Montreal office, read:
“The next 'Mass Effect' game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that It will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems [the] Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.”
That statement apart, information from both BioWare Montreal and BioWare Edmonton (the two studies involved in the development) has been sketchy. In the meantime, DSOGaming has released a fan-made video that explores the potential of Mass Effect 4 on next-gen gaming consoles, specifically the PlayStation 4 and the Microsoft Xbox 720.
The character is drawn using the Unreal Engine 3 (and as the Examiner notes that suggests no CG editing was done) but features Mass Effect armour on the generic character. The video covers multiple angles and also includes a diverse range of maps, locations and worlds.
We need hardly add all of it is hugely impressive. And if BioWare manages to create similarly superior graphics from the Frostbite engine and ally that with the epic story that is the Mass Effect series, the new game is likely to be one of the best of… whichever year it is released in.
[Video Courtesy: Baolong Zhang]
Meanwhile, an earlier IBTimes UK report suggested new details on the release date – available to buy in Japan and the US by the end of 2013, and in the UK by "early" 2014 – of the next-generation PlayStation (PS4) console. Sources from Edge magazine, who claim working knowledge of both the PlayStation and the Microsoft Xbox 720, say the former will be more powerful.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles