Mass Effect Character with Unreal Engine Hints at Next-Gen Console Potential [VIDEO]
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | February 5, 2013 10:49 PM EST
That work on the fourth episode in BioWare’s hugely popular inter-galactic video game franchise, Mass Effect, has already begun is known. Reports in December that suggested BioWare would release Mass Effect 4 in 2014 but those have since proven to be false.
It was confirmed, though, that Mass Effect 4 will use the Frostbite game engine. A blog post in November, by Yanick Roy, the Studio Director for the Montreal office, read:
“The next 'Mass Effect' game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that It will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems [the] Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.”
That statement apart, information from both BioWare Montreal and BioWare Edmonton (the two studies involved in the development) has been sketchy. In the meantime, DSOGaming has released a fan-made video that explores the potential of Mass Effect 4 on next-gen gaming consoles, specifically the PlayStation 4 and the Microsoft Xbox 720.
The character is drawn using the Unreal Engine 3 (and as the Examiner notes that suggests no CG editing was done) but features Mass Effect armour on the generic character. The video covers multiple angles and also includes a diverse range of maps, locations and worlds.
We need hardly add all of it is hugely impressive. And if BioWare manages to create similarly superior graphics from the Frostbite engine and ally that with the epic story that is the Mass Effect series, the new game is likely to be one of the best of… whichever year it is released in.
[Video Courtesy: Baolong Zhang]
Meanwhile, an earlier IBTimes UK report suggested new details on the release date – available to buy in Japan and the US by the end of 2013, and in the UK by "early" 2014 – of the next-generation PlayStation (PS4) console. Sources from Edge magazine, who claim working knowledge of both the PlayStation and the Microsoft Xbox 720, say the former will be more powerful.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS