Drunk Learner Driver Lewis Foster Crushed Mother to Death under Car
By Hannah Osborne | February 5, 2013 10:43 PM EST
A teenage learner driver has been jailed for killing his mother after reversing into her while drunk.
Lewis Foster, 19, crushed his mother Deborah Jones to death just minutes after she begged him not to drink and drive at their family home in St Austell in Cornwall.
At Truro Crown Court, the judge sentenced Foster to 12 months in a youth offenders' institution and banned him from driving for four years.
Foster, who was 18 when the incident took place in July, wept during court proceedings. He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
Judge David Ticehurst said his actions had been reckless.
He said: "The words tragic and tragedy are often misused these days but there is no escape of the fact that this is a tragic case with a tragic result for everyone involved.
"You, Lewis Foster, will carry the burden that you killed your mother by your careless driving for the rest of your life.
"Nothing that I say or do could add to the sense of guilt that you feel and that you will always feel.
"You were only 18 at the time the offence was committed, I take into account that it was a momentary lapse. Whether your foot slipped off the clutch does not matter a great deal.
"It was not a prolonged period of driving but it was reckless, completely thoughtless, without any regard to what may happen.
"Had you spent a moment or two thinking about the situation, had you not been so drunk, had you not been in a temper, you would not be here."
Twice legal limit
Foster had been out drinking with his boss. He had a provisional licence and no insurance when he decided to go for a drive in his Vauxhall Corsa.
Jones, 47, begged her son not to take the car out saying he would ruin everything if he got caught. She was standing behind the car when Foster revved the engine.
His foot then slipped on the clutch and the car shot backwards, crushing his mother, the court heard.
Despite attempts to rescue Jones, she died from her injuries in hospital the following day.
Foster was arrested and a breath test showed he was almost twice the legal limit of 35mg.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More