German Star Relishing his Chance to Shine at Tottenham
By Adrian Back | February 5, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Lewis Holtby has revealed how pleased he is to be playing his football in the Premier League after helping Tottenham secure a 1-0 win over West Brom that keeps them in the hunt for third.
The German international only joined the club at the end of last month but has already featured in two Premier League games and has continually spoken in glowing terms about life in England.
Having sacrificed playing Champions League with Schalke to make the move to White Hart Lane, Holtby has admitted to relishing the chance to get straight into action with Spurs after being the traditional welcome by his teammates.
"I have been living my dream for the past few days. I am playing at an absolute top club in the Premier League. It has been overwhelming since arriving in the motherland of football," Holtby told The Sun.
"The day the transfer went through, I left for London with just a small suitcase and a few hours later, I was already on the Tottenham training ground, getting the traditional kick up the backside from my new team mates by means of welcoming me.
"That's the way things are here in London - hard but hearty."
Holtby appears to have quickly settled in London and has already shown glimpses of what he is capable of by making two substitute appearances in the draw with Norwich and the win over West Brom.
Having only previously played in Germany, Holtby admits that the Premier League is much more physical but feels that this type of football will suit him down to the ground.
"I realised immediately that the speed and the toughness really is different here to the Bundesliga. It's no place for the faint-hearted and the referees don't blow the whistle as often.
"The game is brutally hard, but that suits me and I really love it. I also loved my second game for Spurs, in which a dream goal from Gareth Bale meant I could celebrate my first win," added Holtby.
"I will never forget this game against West Brom. The fans sang a song for me for almost all of the second half. It was incredible and I really had goosebumps. I had never expected such support so soon.
"I've just been in England a week and they already have a song for me, who would have thought it?"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected