Walcott Wants Double Success with Arsenal
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Theo Walcott has now set his eyes on winning the FA Cup and the Champions League with Arsenal this season, to end the club's nearly decade long wait for silverware. The last trophy the Gunners won was the 2005 FA Cup.
The north London club will play German giants Bayern Munich in the first knock-out round of the European competition. In the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger's men face Blackburn Rovers.
Any thoughts of winning the Premier League, however, have long since been dismissed. Arsenal are sixth in the table, with 41 points; they trail leaders Manchester United by 21.
Walcott claims Arsenal's trophy drought has been as frustrating for the players as it has the fans. The striker believes his side have a great chance of winning the FA Cup this season but the former Southampton man feels it will be a big test for the Gunners against Bayern.
"It's been a long time; everyone knows that and as players we know it's not good enough. We need to be achieving what Arsenal did in previous history. I want to be part of that and I'm definitely ready for the battle. We've got a great chance in the FA Cup and, although we've got a very tough game against Bayern, I believe we can win that as well. The next step will come once we win that first medal. Hopefully once we do that we can win more and that's my goal," Walcott explained.
The England international recently ended his ongoing transfer saga by committing his future to the north London club. Walcott revealed that he has been training hard in recent times in order to improve his game. Wenger has recently deployed the 23-year-old in the central striker's role, which has seen him establish himself as the club's top scorer with 18 goals from 29 appearances in all competitions this season, ahead of new signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.
"Things are going well. I'm working hard, staying after training and seeing what I can improve. I just enjoy working hard, scoring goals and trying to help make this team the team we should be. That was one of the main reasons for signing - there is huge potential in this team and I want to be part of it," Walcott concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers