Walcott Wants Double Success with Arsenal
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Theo Walcott has now set his eyes on winning the FA Cup and the Champions League with Arsenal this season, to end the club's nearly decade long wait for silverware. The last trophy the Gunners won was the 2005 FA Cup.
The north London club will play German giants Bayern Munich in the first knock-out round of the European competition. In the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger's men face Blackburn Rovers.
Any thoughts of winning the Premier League, however, have long since been dismissed. Arsenal are sixth in the table, with 41 points; they trail leaders Manchester United by 21.
Walcott claims Arsenal's trophy drought has been as frustrating for the players as it has the fans. The striker believes his side have a great chance of winning the FA Cup this season but the former Southampton man feels it will be a big test for the Gunners against Bayern.
"It's been a long time; everyone knows that and as players we know it's not good enough. We need to be achieving what Arsenal did in previous history. I want to be part of that and I'm definitely ready for the battle. We've got a great chance in the FA Cup and, although we've got a very tough game against Bayern, I believe we can win that as well. The next step will come once we win that first medal. Hopefully once we do that we can win more and that's my goal," Walcott explained.
The England international recently ended his ongoing transfer saga by committing his future to the north London club. Walcott revealed that he has been training hard in recent times in order to improve his game. Wenger has recently deployed the 23-year-old in the central striker's role, which has seen him establish himself as the club's top scorer with 18 goals from 29 appearances in all competitions this season, ahead of new signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.
"Things are going well. I'm working hard, staying after training and seeing what I can improve. I just enjoy working hard, scoring goals and trying to help make this team the team we should be. That was one of the main reasons for signing - there is huge potential in this team and I want to be part of it," Walcott concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People