Walcott Wants Double Success with Arsenal
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Theo Walcott has now set his eyes on winning the FA Cup and the Champions League with Arsenal this season, to end the club's nearly decade long wait for silverware. The last trophy the Gunners won was the 2005 FA Cup.
The north London club will play German giants Bayern Munich in the first knock-out round of the European competition. In the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger's men face Blackburn Rovers.
Any thoughts of winning the Premier League, however, have long since been dismissed. Arsenal are sixth in the table, with 41 points; they trail leaders Manchester United by 21.
Walcott claims Arsenal's trophy drought has been as frustrating for the players as it has the fans. The striker believes his side have a great chance of winning the FA Cup this season but the former Southampton man feels it will be a big test for the Gunners against Bayern.
"It's been a long time; everyone knows that and as players we know it's not good enough. We need to be achieving what Arsenal did in previous history. I want to be part of that and I'm definitely ready for the battle. We've got a great chance in the FA Cup and, although we've got a very tough game against Bayern, I believe we can win that as well. The next step will come once we win that first medal. Hopefully once we do that we can win more and that's my goal," Walcott explained.
The England international recently ended his ongoing transfer saga by committing his future to the north London club. Walcott revealed that he has been training hard in recent times in order to improve his game. Wenger has recently deployed the 23-year-old in the central striker's role, which has seen him establish himself as the club's top scorer with 18 goals from 29 appearances in all competitions this season, ahead of new signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.
"Things are going well. I'm working hard, staying after training and seeing what I can improve. I just enjoy working hard, scoring goals and trying to help make this team the team we should be. That was one of the main reasons for signing - there is huge potential in this team and I want to be part of it," Walcott concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter