Walcott Wants Double Success with Arsenal
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Theo Walcott has now set his eyes on winning the FA Cup and the Champions League with Arsenal this season, to end the club's nearly decade long wait for silverware. The last trophy the Gunners won was the 2005 FA Cup.
The north London club will play German giants Bayern Munich in the first knock-out round of the European competition. In the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger's men face Blackburn Rovers.
Any thoughts of winning the Premier League, however, have long since been dismissed. Arsenal are sixth in the table, with 41 points; they trail leaders Manchester United by 21.
Walcott claims Arsenal's trophy drought has been as frustrating for the players as it has the fans. The striker believes his side have a great chance of winning the FA Cup this season but the former Southampton man feels it will be a big test for the Gunners against Bayern.
"It's been a long time; everyone knows that and as players we know it's not good enough. We need to be achieving what Arsenal did in previous history. I want to be part of that and I'm definitely ready for the battle. We've got a great chance in the FA Cup and, although we've got a very tough game against Bayern, I believe we can win that as well. The next step will come once we win that first medal. Hopefully once we do that we can win more and that's my goal," Walcott explained.
The England international recently ended his ongoing transfer saga by committing his future to the north London club. Walcott revealed that he has been training hard in recent times in order to improve his game. Wenger has recently deployed the 23-year-old in the central striker's role, which has seen him establish himself as the club's top scorer with 18 goals from 29 appearances in all competitions this season, ahead of new signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.
"Things are going well. I'm working hard, staying after training and seeing what I can improve. I just enjoy working hard, scoring goals and trying to help make this team the team we should be. That was one of the main reasons for signing - there is huge potential in this team and I want to be part of it," Walcott concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best