Walcott Wants Double Success with Arsenal
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Theo Walcott has now set his eyes on winning the FA Cup and the Champions League with Arsenal this season, to end the club's nearly decade long wait for silverware. The last trophy the Gunners won was the 2005 FA Cup.
The north London club will play German giants Bayern Munich in the first knock-out round of the European competition. In the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger's men face Blackburn Rovers.
Any thoughts of winning the Premier League, however, have long since been dismissed. Arsenal are sixth in the table, with 41 points; they trail leaders Manchester United by 21.
Walcott claims Arsenal's trophy drought has been as frustrating for the players as it has the fans. The striker believes his side have a great chance of winning the FA Cup this season but the former Southampton man feels it will be a big test for the Gunners against Bayern.
"It's been a long time; everyone knows that and as players we know it's not good enough. We need to be achieving what Arsenal did in previous history. I want to be part of that and I'm definitely ready for the battle. We've got a great chance in the FA Cup and, although we've got a very tough game against Bayern, I believe we can win that as well. The next step will come once we win that first medal. Hopefully once we do that we can win more and that's my goal," Walcott explained.
The England international recently ended his ongoing transfer saga by committing his future to the north London club. Walcott revealed that he has been training hard in recent times in order to improve his game. Wenger has recently deployed the 23-year-old in the central striker's role, which has seen him establish himself as the club's top scorer with 18 goals from 29 appearances in all competitions this season, ahead of new signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.
"Things are going well. I'm working hard, staying after training and seeing what I can improve. I just enjoy working hard, scoring goals and trying to help make this team the team we should be. That was one of the main reasons for signing - there is huge potential in this team and I want to be part of it," Walcott concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef