Bundesbank favours Libor reform rather than replacement - paper
February 5, 2013 8:28 PM EST
The system of setting benchmark interbank lending rates, or Libor, can be reformed by tightening requirements for reporting and documenting data, Bundesbank Vice President Sabine Lautenschlaeger told a German newspaper.
The Bundesbank's view contrasts with that of German regulator BaFin, which suggested that the system of setting rates may need to be replaced.
"The safeguards at financial institutions were inadequate. That must be ended, so that a scandal like this cannot be repeated," Lautenschlaeger told the Handelsblatt newspaper in an interview on Tuesday.
The interest rate scandal broke when British bank Barclays
More than a dozen banks are now under investigation by authorities in Europe, Japan and the United States over the suspected rigging of Libor - the London Interbank Offered Rate - used to price financial instruments worth trillions of dollars globally.
Lautenschlaeger said that because the potential for manipulation of Libor and the Euro interbank offered rate (Euribor) was not adequately identified in the past, not enough attention was paid to making the rate-setting process safer.
She said investigations at some banks in Germany had been completed, but declined to provide names.
Separately, Lautenschlaeger said the finance industry should seek to ensure that "absurd bonuses" are not paid to bankers.
Lautenschlaeger said she would prefer a retention period of five years or more for large bonuses, but said any rules would need to be applied internationally to prevent German banks from suffering a competitive disadvantage.
(Reporting By Edward Taylor. Editing by Jane Merriman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers