Arsenal Defender Could Reconsider Future In The Summer – Report
By Vanessa Keller | February 5, 2013 7:58 PM EST
Arsenal look set to lose Andre Santos in the summer with the midfielder likely to give up his fight for game time after the club purchased Nacho Monreal on deadline day.
The Daily Mirror claims that Santos considered moving to Galatasaray in January, with the Turkish club coming in for the Brazilian after he struggled to make his mark on the Gunners' squad this season.
But he turned down the offer from the side who have now acquired Didier Drogba and Wesley Sneijder, choosing to fight for his place at Arsenal instead.
However, the 29-year-old's plan to get more involved in Arsene Wenger's starting line up appears to have been thwarted by a last minute move by the north London club to purchase Monreal, and build on a defence which Wenger admitted was looking thin.
Santos has featured for Arsenal just 12 times this season, with eight of those being in the league.
He was one of a host of signings by Wenger in the final 24 hours of the summer 2011 window - the Frenchman had mixed success with his deals on that day, with Mikel Arteta proving to be a natural leader, while Yossi Benayoun, Gervinho and Park Chu Young have all disappointed.
Despite the speculation surrounding Santos, Wenger has recently insisted that he will keep faith inthe Brazilian, arguing that he stilll has a future is at the Emirates.
"Maybe people speak that he had a difficult game [against Liverpool] but he lacks competition," the Arsenal manager said.
"He is a style of player who needs competition because he is not a nervous type of player, he is a stamina type of player and get sharper through competition.
"Yes [the criticism of Santos is unfair] because if you watch the game again and you analyse very well his performance, you will be less critical.
"The first critics after the game are always a bit emotional because you have one or two big mistakes in your mind and we are all the same on that front.
"But when you watch the games again, you will see that he has done some good things."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June