'Vishwaroopam’ Release Date: Kamal Haasan’s Film to Hit Theatres Thursday in Tamil Nadu
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 7:44 PM EST
Kamal Haasan's mega-budget spy thriller film "Vishwaroopam" will finally release on Thursday, Feb 7, in his home state Tamil Nadu.
Kamal, who is the director and co-producer of the film, announced the release date on his official Facebook page on Monday night. He also thanked all his fans, fellow actors, government and media for their support during the crisis.
The film was originally scheduled to release last month, but due to its content the film was banned in Tamil Nadu and other states. Following a meeting with the Muslim leaders who protested against the movie, Kamal decided to edit seven scenes from it.
On Monday, Kamal's senior counsel P S Raman and advocate general A Navaneethakrishnan informed Justice S Rajeswaran that the issue between the producers and Muslim organisations has been solved amicably. Kamal also withdrew a petition that he filed in the Madras High Court challenging the ban.
Here is Kamal's statement that he issued on Monday:
"Surmounting many barricades and bans, Vishwaroopam is now ready to be released on the 7th February 2013, finally in Tamil Nadu.
"I profusely thank the Honorable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, for her justice was speedier. Above all, I am ever grateful to the Tamil Nadu and Indian people at large. Many peers in the trade in Tamil Nadu also reached out personally to enquire. Unbeknownst to me, the rest of my fraternity throughout the country raised their voices in my defense. I am touched and grateful to them.
"The Media fought for my freedoms as it were theirs at stake- probably it is so. Nevertheless, the time they spent on my small cause and the warmth they imparted strengthened me. I was angered and hurt by this injustice. I stood stoic through all the troubles but what broke me to an emotional pulp was the sight of many money orders, currency notes and bank checks sent to me in envelops by admirers to help me tide over my crisis.
"I will be returning all of these to the respective senders. Please do not take offense; I have safeguarded your addresses, in case politics and religion hound me again to take refuge. I know I have safe homes to feed and keep me throughout Tamil Nadu. Wherever I go or live, my permanent abode and address would always be your kind minds."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date