UBS to buy back 5 billion Swiss francs in senior debt after revamp
February 5, 2013 5:21 PM EST
"Our actions to prudently manage the composition of our liabilities will lower interest expense in the future," UBS said in a statement.
But UBS said the move to buy back the euro, Italian lira and U.S. dollar denominated debt could lead to a tightening of its credit spreads, and as a result could incur "significant" first-quarter own credit charges.
The buyback comes alongside a 1.89 billion franc fourth-quarter net loss due to a $1.5 billion fine for rigging benchmark interest rates and charges from a restructuring plan to shed 10,000 staff.
The loss compares with a 2.078 billion franc net loss forecasts by analysts in a Reuters poll.
(Reporting By Katharina Bart, editing by Emma Thomasson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display