SGX in talks to buy stake in LCH.Clearnet - FT
February 5, 2013 3:35 PM EST
Singapore Exchange Ltd (SGX), Asia's second-largest bourse operator by market capitalisation, is in talks to buy a stake in transatlantic clearing house LCH.Clearnet, betting on an increase in trading volumes for derivatives, the Financial Times reported on Monday.
The three parties are discussing the structure of the deal, the daily added. The LSE last month agreed to pay 366 million euros (314.8 million pounds) for a majority stake in LCH.
"As the Asian Gateway, SGX is open to partnerships and alliances for the benefit of shareholders, the company and our customers. However, we do not comment on media reports or speculation," SGX spokeswoman Carolyn Lim said in an emailed statement.
Clearing houses sit between trading firms and ensure trades of securities such as stocks, bonds and derivatives are completed, holding cash to refund firms left out of pocket by a counterparty default.
Exchanges are trying to expand into central clearing following a regulatory overhaul of the over-the-counter derivatives market by the Group of 20 leading economies (G20).
Regulators want trades in derivatives, such as interest rate swaps, to be put through a clearing house in order to reduce the level of systemic risk posed by the market and make it more make transparent.
SGX already has its own clearing service, AsiaClear, which handles trades in commodities and financial derivatives, including interest rate swaps and foreign exchange forwards.
LSE won approval from the UK's competition watchdog in December for its planned acquisition of LCH, the transatlantic clearing house.
(Reporting by Rachel Armstrong in Singapore and Karen Rebelo in Bangalore; Editing by Tim Dobbyn and Richard Pullin)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying