SGX in talks to buy stake in LCH.Clearnet - FT
February 5, 2013 3:35 PM EST
Singapore Exchange Ltd (SGX), Asia's second-largest bourse operator by market capitalisation, is in talks to buy a stake in transatlantic clearing house LCH.Clearnet, betting on an increase in trading volumes for derivatives, the Financial Times reported on Monday.
The three parties are discussing the structure of the deal, the daily added. The LSE last month agreed to pay 366 million euros (314.8 million pounds) for a majority stake in LCH.
"As the Asian Gateway, SGX is open to partnerships and alliances for the benefit of shareholders, the company and our customers. However, we do not comment on media reports or speculation," SGX spokeswoman Carolyn Lim said in an emailed statement.
Clearing houses sit between trading firms and ensure trades of securities such as stocks, bonds and derivatives are completed, holding cash to refund firms left out of pocket by a counterparty default.
Exchanges are trying to expand into central clearing following a regulatory overhaul of the over-the-counter derivatives market by the Group of 20 leading economies (G20).
Regulators want trades in derivatives, such as interest rate swaps, to be put through a clearing house in order to reduce the level of systemic risk posed by the market and make it more make transparent.
SGX already has its own clearing service, AsiaClear, which handles trades in commodities and financial derivatives, including interest rate swaps and foreign exchange forwards.
LSE won approval from the UK's competition watchdog in December for its planned acquisition of LCH, the transatlantic clearing house.
(Reporting by Rachel Armstrong in Singapore and Karen Rebelo in Bangalore; Editing by Tim Dobbyn and Richard Pullin)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS