UFC Update: CroCop Puts Overeem In His Place, Sort Of
By Conrad Trillana | February 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST
After Alistair Overeem's upset loss to Antonio Silva on UFC 156 this weekend, one former UFC heavyweight had no qualms about bashing the supposed title contender about his use of testosterones and performance-enhancing drugs. The usually respectful and quiet Mirko "CroCop" Filipović wasn't shy about criticizing Alistair Overeem's performance as well as his disdain for Overeem's antics before the fight.
In an interview for Fight Site (www.fightsite.hr/), CroCop teed off against the former K1, Strikeforce, and DREAM heavyweight champion, noting that since his return from suspension, Overeem "was nowhere near his usual" physique, and questioned his mindset going into the fight.
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."
No surprise that Mirko isn't a fan. Back in 2008, CroCop fought Overeem in a heavyweight bout for DREAM 6. The fight was ruled a no-contest though after Overeem landed several illegal knee strikes to the groin, and Mirko was unable to continue. Rematch talks ensued but none ever materialized as CroCop was soon signed up by the UFC and Alistair Overeem became the top dog in Japan.
So, what do you guys think, is CroCop kicking a man when he's down (which was totally legal in PRIDE rules, by the way - Ha!) or is he just telling it like it is?
Anyway, here's a bonus tweet from Antonio Silva:
Who is the king of Miami?? Quem e o rei de Miami?? Obg. A todos pela torcida..."Amo todos vcs"...Brasillllll twitter.com/BigfootSilva/s…
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) February 3, 2013
(which translates to "Who is the king of Miami? Thanks to all the fans ... "I love y'all" ... Brasillllll")
To the victor goes the spoils, of course.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports