UFC Update: CroCop Puts Overeem In His Place, Sort Of
By Conrad Trillana | February 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST
After Alistair Overeem's upset loss to Antonio Silva on UFC 156 this weekend, one former UFC heavyweight had no qualms about bashing the supposed title contender about his use of testosterones and performance-enhancing drugs. The usually respectful and quiet Mirko "CroCop" Filipović wasn't shy about criticizing Alistair Overeem's performance as well as his disdain for Overeem's antics before the fight.
In an interview for Fight Site (www.fightsite.hr/), CroCop teed off against the former K1, Strikeforce, and DREAM heavyweight champion, noting that since his return from suspension, Overeem "was nowhere near his usual" physique, and questioned his mindset going into the fight.
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."
No surprise that Mirko isn't a fan. Back in 2008, CroCop fought Overeem in a heavyweight bout for DREAM 6. The fight was ruled a no-contest though after Overeem landed several illegal knee strikes to the groin, and Mirko was unable to continue. Rematch talks ensued but none ever materialized as CroCop was soon signed up by the UFC and Alistair Overeem became the top dog in Japan.
So, what do you guys think, is CroCop kicking a man when he's down (which was totally legal in PRIDE rules, by the way - Ha!) or is he just telling it like it is?
Anyway, here's a bonus tweet from Antonio Silva:
Who is the king of Miami?? Quem e o rei de Miami?? Obg. A todos pela torcida..."Amo todos vcs"...Brasillllll twitter.com/BigfootSilva/s…
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) February 3, 2013
(which translates to "Who is the king of Miami? Thanks to all the fans ... "I love y'all" ... Brasillllll")
To the victor goes the spoils, of course.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James