UFC Update: CroCop Puts Overeem In His Place, Sort Of
By Conrad Trillana | February 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST
After Alistair Overeem's upset loss to Antonio Silva on UFC 156 this weekend, one former UFC heavyweight had no qualms about bashing the supposed title contender about his use of testosterones and performance-enhancing drugs. The usually respectful and quiet Mirko "CroCop" Filipović wasn't shy about criticizing Alistair Overeem's performance as well as his disdain for Overeem's antics before the fight.
In an interview for Fight Site (www.fightsite.hr/), CroCop teed off against the former K1, Strikeforce, and DREAM heavyweight champion, noting that since his return from suspension, Overeem "was nowhere near his usual" physique, and questioned his mindset going into the fight.
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."
No surprise that Mirko isn't a fan. Back in 2008, CroCop fought Overeem in a heavyweight bout for DREAM 6. The fight was ruled a no-contest though after Overeem landed several illegal knee strikes to the groin, and Mirko was unable to continue. Rematch talks ensued but none ever materialized as CroCop was soon signed up by the UFC and Alistair Overeem became the top dog in Japan.
So, what do you guys think, is CroCop kicking a man when he's down (which was totally legal in PRIDE rules, by the way - Ha!) or is he just telling it like it is?
Anyway, here's a bonus tweet from Antonio Silva:
Who is the king of Miami?? Quem e o rei de Miami?? Obg. A todos pela torcida..."Amo todos vcs"...Brasillllll twitter.com/BigfootSilva/s…
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) February 3, 2013
(which translates to "Who is the king of Miami? Thanks to all the fans ... "I love y'all" ... Brasillllll")
To the victor goes the spoils, of course.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown