UFC Update: CroCop Puts Overeem In His Place, Sort Of
By Conrad Trillana | February 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST
After Alistair Overeem's upset loss to Antonio Silva on UFC 156 this weekend, one former UFC heavyweight had no qualms about bashing the supposed title contender about his use of testosterones and performance-enhancing drugs. The usually respectful and quiet Mirko "CroCop" Filipović wasn't shy about criticizing Alistair Overeem's performance as well as his disdain for Overeem's antics before the fight.
In an interview for Fight Site (www.fightsite.hr/), CroCop teed off against the former K1, Strikeforce, and DREAM heavyweight champion, noting that since his return from suspension, Overeem "was nowhere near his usual" physique, and questioned his mindset going into the fight.
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."
No surprise that Mirko isn't a fan. Back in 2008, CroCop fought Overeem in a heavyweight bout for DREAM 6. The fight was ruled a no-contest though after Overeem landed several illegal knee strikes to the groin, and Mirko was unable to continue. Rematch talks ensued but none ever materialized as CroCop was soon signed up by the UFC and Alistair Overeem became the top dog in Japan.
So, what do you guys think, is CroCop kicking a man when he's down (which was totally legal in PRIDE rules, by the way - Ha!) or is he just telling it like it is?
Anyway, here's a bonus tweet from Antonio Silva:
Who is the king of Miami?? Quem e o rei de Miami?? Obg. A todos pela torcida..."Amo todos vcs"...Brasillllll twitter.com/BigfootSilva/s…
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) February 3, 2013
(which translates to "Who is the king of Miami? Thanks to all the fans ... "I love y'all" ... Brasillllll")
To the victor goes the spoils, of course.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble