UFC Update: CroCop Puts Overeem In His Place, Sort Of
By Conrad Trillana | February 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST
After Alistair Overeem's upset loss to Antonio Silva on UFC 156 this weekend, one former UFC heavyweight had no qualms about bashing the supposed title contender about his use of testosterones and performance-enhancing drugs. The usually respectful and quiet Mirko "CroCop" Filipović wasn't shy about criticizing Alistair Overeem's performance as well as his disdain for Overeem's antics before the fight.
In an interview for Fight Site (www.fightsite.hr/), CroCop teed off against the former K1, Strikeforce, and DREAM heavyweight champion, noting that since his return from suspension, Overeem "was nowhere near his usual" physique, and questioned his mindset going into the fight.
"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."
No surprise that Mirko isn't a fan. Back in 2008, CroCop fought Overeem in a heavyweight bout for DREAM 6. The fight was ruled a no-contest though after Overeem landed several illegal knee strikes to the groin, and Mirko was unable to continue. Rematch talks ensued but none ever materialized as CroCop was soon signed up by the UFC and Alistair Overeem became the top dog in Japan.
So, what do you guys think, is CroCop kicking a man when he's down (which was totally legal in PRIDE rules, by the way - Ha!) or is he just telling it like it is?
Anyway, here's a bonus tweet from Antonio Silva:
Who is the king of Miami?? Quem e o rei de Miami?? Obg. A todos pela torcida..."Amo todos vcs"...Brasillllll twitter.com/BigfootSilva/s…
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) February 3, 2013
(which translates to "Who is the king of Miami? Thanks to all the fans ... "I love y'all" ... Brasillllll")
To the victor goes the spoils, of course.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy