Sensex Likely to Fall on Tuesday Amid Europe Worries
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 2:39 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to fall on Tuesday as investor confidence is likely to be weighed down amid revival of political uncertainties in Europe.
On Monday, the US stocks dropped as investor sentiment turned negative amid discouraging political developments in Europe which raised worries about debt crisis looming over the euro zone. Investors were worried to note that Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his party were facing corruption allegations. Subsequently, the debt burden faced by Spain rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 23 bps to 5.44 percent.
Italy was also faced with political uncertainty as former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s popularity increased prior to the general election to be held this month. Also, the nation's debt burden rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 14 bps to 4.47 percent.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Monday by the Commerce Department, the factory orders report, which measures the change in the total value of new purchase orders placed with manufacturers each month, rose to 1.8 percent in December from 0.3 percent decrease in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.93 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 1.15 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 1.51 percent.
On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng declined 1.74 percent, or 412.53 points, to 23272.48. Among major losers were PetroChina Co Ltd (1.44 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.81 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.31 percent, or 147.91 points, to 11112.44. Among major losers were Teijin Ltd (3.35 percent), JGC Corp (3.32 percent) and Chiyoda Corp (2.18 percent).
On Monday, the Sensex declined 30 points to close at 19751.19. The overall market breadth was negative with 886 advances against 1308 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index fell 0.83 percent to 6909.58 and Smallcap Index dropped 0.71 percent to 7006.73.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories