Sensex Likely to Fall on Tuesday Amid Europe Worries
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 2:39 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to fall on Tuesday as investor confidence is likely to be weighed down amid revival of political uncertainties in Europe.
On Monday, the US stocks dropped as investor sentiment turned negative amid discouraging political developments in Europe which raised worries about debt crisis looming over the euro zone. Investors were worried to note that Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his party were facing corruption allegations. Subsequently, the debt burden faced by Spain rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 23 bps to 5.44 percent.
Italy was also faced with political uncertainty as former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s popularity increased prior to the general election to be held this month. Also, the nation's debt burden rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 14 bps to 4.47 percent.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Monday by the Commerce Department, the factory orders report, which measures the change in the total value of new purchase orders placed with manufacturers each month, rose to 1.8 percent in December from 0.3 percent decrease in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.93 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 1.15 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 1.51 percent.
On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng declined 1.74 percent, or 412.53 points, to 23272.48. Among major losers were PetroChina Co Ltd (1.44 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.81 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.31 percent, or 147.91 points, to 11112.44. Among major losers were Teijin Ltd (3.35 percent), JGC Corp (3.32 percent) and Chiyoda Corp (2.18 percent).
On Monday, the Sensex declined 30 points to close at 19751.19. The overall market breadth was negative with 886 advances against 1308 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index fell 0.83 percent to 6909.58 and Smallcap Index dropped 0.71 percent to 7006.73.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]