Sensex Likely to Fall on Tuesday Amid Europe Worries
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 2:39 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to fall on Tuesday as investor confidence is likely to be weighed down amid revival of political uncertainties in Europe.
On Monday, the US stocks dropped as investor sentiment turned negative amid discouraging political developments in Europe which raised worries about debt crisis looming over the euro zone. Investors were worried to note that Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his party were facing corruption allegations. Subsequently, the debt burden faced by Spain rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 23 bps to 5.44 percent.
Italy was also faced with political uncertainty as former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s popularity increased prior to the general election to be held this month. Also, the nation's debt burden rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 14 bps to 4.47 percent.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Monday by the Commerce Department, the factory orders report, which measures the change in the total value of new purchase orders placed with manufacturers each month, rose to 1.8 percent in December from 0.3 percent decrease in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.93 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 1.15 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 1.51 percent.
On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng declined 1.74 percent, or 412.53 points, to 23272.48. Among major losers were PetroChina Co Ltd (1.44 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.81 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.31 percent, or 147.91 points, to 11112.44. Among major losers were Teijin Ltd (3.35 percent), JGC Corp (3.32 percent) and Chiyoda Corp (2.18 percent).
On Monday, the Sensex declined 30 points to close at 19751.19. The overall market breadth was negative with 886 advances against 1308 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index fell 0.83 percent to 6909.58 and Smallcap Index dropped 0.71 percent to 7006.73.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes