Sensex Likely to Fall on Tuesday Amid Europe Worries
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 2:39 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to fall on Tuesday as investor confidence is likely to be weighed down amid revival of political uncertainties in Europe.
On Monday, the US stocks dropped as investor sentiment turned negative amid discouraging political developments in Europe which raised worries about debt crisis looming over the euro zone. Investors were worried to note that Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his party were facing corruption allegations. Subsequently, the debt burden faced by Spain rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 23 bps to 5.44 percent.
Italy was also faced with political uncertainty as former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s popularity increased prior to the general election to be held this month. Also, the nation's debt burden rose with its 10-year government yields climbing 14 bps to 4.47 percent.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Monday by the Commerce Department, the factory orders report, which measures the change in the total value of new purchase orders placed with manufacturers each month, rose to 1.8 percent in December from 0.3 percent decrease in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.93 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 1.15 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index declined 1.51 percent.
On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng declined 1.74 percent, or 412.53 points, to 23272.48. Among major losers were PetroChina Co Ltd (1.44 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.81 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.31 percent, or 147.91 points, to 11112.44. Among major losers were Teijin Ltd (3.35 percent), JGC Corp (3.32 percent) and Chiyoda Corp (2.18 percent).
On Monday, the Sensex declined 30 points to close at 19751.19. The overall market breadth was negative with 886 advances against 1308 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index fell 0.83 percent to 6909.58 and Smallcap Index dropped 0.71 percent to 7006.73.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales