iPad 5 Release Date Set in October Alongside iPad Mini 2?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 5, 2013 1:50 PM EST
This is supported by a report from iLounge editor-in-chief Jeremy Horowitz states that the iPad 5 might not be released until October, "give or take a couple weeks" due to what he believes is a shortage of component supplies.
According to Horowitz, who apparently had some time with an iPad 5 prototype earlier in January, the new iPad will utilize a design similar to the iPad Mini's.
There will be practically no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
The report lines up with iLounge's first description of the new iPad which is expected to arrive in October with smaller, iPad mini-esque bezels and chamfered edges and curves. In portrait orientation, picture a 9.7" screen with virtually no left or right bezels, and only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements.
On the other hand, reports claim the next iPad Mini will feature the same 7.9-inch size display as the current model but with a higher resolution 2048x1536 pixel resolution at 324 pixels-per-inch, making it a true Retina display. The device is rumoured to be released also in October.
Meanwhile, the upgraded iPad 4 will be available starting February 5. This newest gadget includes a 9.7-inch retina display and 128 GB. The iPad 4 is basically the same as its predecessor, the only improvements being its storage size and retina display. However, the device costs $100 greater than the original version.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899