China Smog Spreads to Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 5, 2013 11:08 AM EST
The month-long smog hanging over China had been blown over to Japan's skies, putting another strain to the relations of the two countries riled by a diplomatic rift over coveted Senkaku Islands.
"China is our neighbour, and all sorts of problems happen between us all the time," Takaharu Abiko was quoted by the AFP. "It is very worrying. This is dangerous pollution, like poison, and we can't protect ourselves. It's scary."
Although the Ministry of Environment of Japan expect the weather to improve by Wednesday, with the smog blowing from Beijing to slowly if not totally recede, it advised residents in the west of Japan to continue to wear masks and close their windows.
Atsushi Shimizu, from Japan's National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), confirmed the particulate matter contained in the toxic smog pollution hovering in the country's air zone, recorded at 50 microgrammes, is well above government-imposed limits of 35 microgrammes.
Authorities initially thought the cause of the hazy weather was the yellow sand from desert regions of Mongolia.
But "at this time of year they are definitely not yellow sands, so they're toxic particles," Shimizu said. He advised people "with respiratory diseases should be careful."
"Access to our air-pollution monitoring system has been almost impossible since last week, and the telephone here has been constantly ringing because worried people keep asking us about the impact on health," an environment ministry official said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS