China Smog Spreads to Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 5, 2013 11:08 AM EST
The month-long smog hanging over China had been blown over to Japan's skies, putting another strain to the relations of the two countries riled by a diplomatic rift over coveted Senkaku Islands.
"China is our neighbour, and all sorts of problems happen between us all the time," Takaharu Abiko was quoted by the AFP. "It is very worrying. This is dangerous pollution, like poison, and we can't protect ourselves. It's scary."
Although the Ministry of Environment of Japan expect the weather to improve by Wednesday, with the smog blowing from Beijing to slowly if not totally recede, it advised residents in the west of Japan to continue to wear masks and close their windows.
Atsushi Shimizu, from Japan's National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), confirmed the particulate matter contained in the toxic smog pollution hovering in the country's air zone, recorded at 50 microgrammes, is well above government-imposed limits of 35 microgrammes.
Authorities initially thought the cause of the hazy weather was the yellow sand from desert regions of Mongolia.
But "at this time of year they are definitely not yellow sands, so they're toxic particles," Shimizu said. He advised people "with respiratory diseases should be careful."
"Access to our air-pollution monitoring system has been almost impossible since last week, and the telephone here has been constantly ringing because worried people keep asking us about the impact on health," an environment ministry official said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans