Beijing Bars Fireworks for Lunar New Year to Curb Pollution
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 5, 2013 10:56 AM EST
Gripped by a toxic smog pollution which doesn't seem to abate, Beijing will be barring fireworks on heavily polluted days in the lead up to the Spring Festival holiday on Sunday as part of a package of measures aimed at dealing with air pollution in the capital.
This as a recent research by the Chinese Academy of Sciences found that the air in Beijing's urban areas has a total of 4,000 tonnes of pollutants during heavily polluted days.
Kang Jiyong, the secretary-general of the Beijing Fireworks Association, according to the Beijing News on Monday, said the municipal government of Beijing is heavily mulling to ban the staging of fireworks display in order not to further exacerbate the toxic smog pollution that continues to grip China's capital.
"When there is heavy pollution, perhaps they'll prohibit the setting-off of fireworks," Kang told the newspaper.
The mulled ban would be dependent on prevailing on weather conditions, Kang explained.
If it's already foggy and wind is not present, the planned ban could be implemented because fireworks residue can sit in the air for a long time, thus contributing further to the pollution and aggravating the problem.
Wang Yuesi, a researcher at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, had calculated the concentration of pollutants that hit the capital and found that the air in the urban areas has a total of 4,000 tonnes of pollutants during heavily polluted days.
Of China's many towns and regions, it was Beijing and its neighboring areas that were the hardest hit by the toxic smog pollution in January which according to National Meteorological Center was the worst the country experienced since 1961.
It was reported that the concentration of PM 2.5 shot to as high as 1,000 micrograms on serious pollution days in January in parts of Beijing.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports