Yum's China woes slams sales and profit
By Lisa Baertlein | February 5, 2013 10:14 AM EST
KFC parent Yum Brands Inc
The company, which gets more than half of its overall sales and operating profit from China, reported a 6 percent drop in fourth-quarter sales at established restaurants in China due to "adverse publicity" regarding its poultry supply.
Its business there continued to suffer in January, when China same-store sales dropped 37 percent, including a 41 percent fall for KFC and a 15 decline for Pizza Hut Casual Dining.
As a result, Yum forecast a "mid-single digit" percentage decline in earnings per share for 2013. Yum previously forecast 2013 earnings per share growth of at least 10 percent.
Yum has nearly 5,300, mostly KFC, restaurants in China. Its strong reputation for high food quality helped it grow briskly in a country where there have been some serious food safety scandals.
"I don't think anybody saw this coming," said Edward Jones analyst Jack Russo, who like many others expects the company to eventually bounce back. "Investors are definitely going to need some patience.
Analysts polled by Consensus Metrix estimate that Yum's first-quarter China same-restaurant sales will drop 9.3 percent before stabilizing later in 2013.
Yum's fourth-quarter net income fell to $337 million, or 72 cents per share, from $356 million, or 75 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding special items, Yum had a profit of 83 cents per share. That topped analysts' average estimate by a penny, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Total revenue rose to $4.15 billion from $4.11 billion.
(Reporting By Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS