Top 10 Most Expensive Global Cities in 2013, Sydney on 3rd Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 5, 2013 9:56 AM EST
Not only is the Australian currency rising, even prices of goods and services in major cities in the land down under are also going up at a faster pace. Thus, two Australian cities are in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 10 most expensive cities in the world.
Sydney is on third spot and Melbourne in fifth place. Here's the complete list.
1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Osaka, Japan
3. Sydney, Australia
4. Oslo, Norway
5. Melbourne, Australia
6. Singapore, Singapore
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Paris, France
9. Caracas, Venezuela
10. Geneva, Switzerland.
It is significant that half of the top 10 spots are in the Asia-Pacific region, confirming speculations and political and economic forecast that the coming decades will be an Asian Century.
The report, released on Monday, pointed out that 10 years ago, no Australian cities was in the list of the 50 most expensive cities in the world, while these urban centres started to enter the top 10 roster two years ago.
"Australian cities have been rising very quickly up the rankings as economic growth has supported inflation and currency swings to make them costly," the report said.
Twelve months ago, Sydney and Melbourne were only in 7th and 8th place.
The two Aussie cities, however, have yet to beat the record of Japan's capital city which has been the most expensive city the past 20 years. Just a sample, a watermelon costs $50 while the exotic fruit, durian, could sell for as high as $100.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install