Top 10 Most Expensive Global Cities in 2013, Sydney on 3rd Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 5, 2013 9:56 AM EST
Not only is the Australian currency rising, even prices of goods and services in major cities in the land down under are also going up at a faster pace. Thus, two Australian cities are in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 10 most expensive cities in the world.
Sydney is on third spot and Melbourne in fifth place. Here's the complete list.
1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Osaka, Japan
3. Sydney, Australia
4. Oslo, Norway
5. Melbourne, Australia
6. Singapore, Singapore
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Paris, France
9. Caracas, Venezuela
10. Geneva, Switzerland.
It is significant that half of the top 10 spots are in the Asia-Pacific region, confirming speculations and political and economic forecast that the coming decades will be an Asian Century.
The report, released on Monday, pointed out that 10 years ago, no Australian cities was in the list of the 50 most expensive cities in the world, while these urban centres started to enter the top 10 roster two years ago.
"Australian cities have been rising very quickly up the rankings as economic growth has supported inflation and currency swings to make them costly," the report said.
Twelve months ago, Sydney and Melbourne were only in 7th and 8th place.
The two Aussie cities, however, have yet to beat the record of Japan's capital city which has been the most expensive city the past 20 years. Just a sample, a watermelon costs $50 while the exotic fruit, durian, could sell for as high as $100.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 16, 2014
- Iron Age For Australia Ends As Price Of Key Steelmaking Ingredient Dips Below $83/Tonne
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 15, 2014
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date