Top 10 Most Expensive Global Cities in 2013, Sydney on 3rd Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 5, 2013 9:56 AM EST
Not only is the Australian currency rising, even prices of goods and services in major cities in the land down under are also going up at a faster pace. Thus, two Australian cities are in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 10 most expensive cities in the world.
Sydney is on third spot and Melbourne in fifth place. Here's the complete list.
1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Osaka, Japan
3. Sydney, Australia
4. Oslo, Norway
5. Melbourne, Australia
6. Singapore, Singapore
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Paris, France
9. Caracas, Venezuela
10. Geneva, Switzerland.
It is significant that half of the top 10 spots are in the Asia-Pacific region, confirming speculations and political and economic forecast that the coming decades will be an Asian Century.
The report, released on Monday, pointed out that 10 years ago, no Australian cities was in the list of the 50 most expensive cities in the world, while these urban centres started to enter the top 10 roster two years ago.
"Australian cities have been rising very quickly up the rankings as economic growth has supported inflation and currency swings to make them costly," the report said.
Twelve months ago, Sydney and Melbourne were only in 7th and 8th place.
The two Aussie cities, however, have yet to beat the record of Japan's capital city which has been the most expensive city the past 20 years. Just a sample, a watermelon costs $50 while the exotic fruit, durian, could sell for as high as $100.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch