Alan Hansen: Chelsea Did Themselves A Favour Keeping England Star
By Vanessa Keller | February 5, 2013 9:25 AM EST
Alan Hansen believes Chelsea did themselves a huge favour by signing Ashley Cole on a contract extension, with the left-back continuing to prove his worth for the side and for England as well.
Cole was coming into the final six months of his deal with the Blues, and had been connected with a possible move to Manchester United, as Roman Abramovich held out on giving the 32 year old a new contract.
But the club eventually agreed to keep him on board, and as he prepares to make his 100th appearance for England against Brazil, Hansen believes the former Arsenal man has proven his worth.
"Had Cole been allowed to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, you can be certain a top Champions League club would have signed him," Hansen said in the Telegraph. "He has been Chelsea's most consistent player in a hit and miss team.
"It was no surprise to see Manchester United regularly linked with a move for him when it looked like he would not get a new contract at Chelsea.
"When you look at the careers of players such as Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry and Wayne Rooney, you ask yourself where could they have played had they decided not to stay in the Premier League?
"In all their cases they could have signed for Real Madrid, Barcelona or any of the world's major overseas clubs.
"Cole definitely fits into that category. He would have been perfect for the all-conquering Barcelona side of recent seasons, his natural athleticism and ease on the ball arguably making him the best left back in the world."
Hansen also insisted that Cole could surpass 100 caps for England and continue to be an integral part of the national side, explaining: "When the time comes and his speed starts to decline, Cole will stop bombing forward so much and concentrate solely on defence.
"He may earn his 100th cap on Wednesday, but if it is his desire he could comfortably go past Peter Shilton's record of 125."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones