TD Ameritrade's IMX Index Measures Retail Investor Sentiment
By Sam Mattera | February 5, 2013 6:53 AM EST
Steve Quirk, TD Ameritrade's Senior VP, appeared on CNBC's Halftime Report earlier to detail the company's new indicator.
The indicator, called the IMX Index, measures the sentiment of the company's retail clients. TD Ameritrade is one of America's biggest brokerages for retail investors.
The IMX Index measures what TD Ameritrade's clients are actually doing in the market. Rather than just watching fund flows into mutual accounts, the IMX Index can paint a more accurate picture.
Specifically, the Index takes into account derivative positions as well as equity purchases.
Qurik noted that in January investors turned a bit more bearish than in the fall; while on a net basis investors were still purchasing stocks in January, they shifted their purchase away from high beta names like lululemon (NASDAQ: LULU [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]) in favor of less market sensitive stocks like Exxon Mobil (NYSE: XOM).
In addition, investors were increasingly pairing their long equity positions with downside protection, buying puts and taking similar measures.
Overall, Quirk challenged the traditional notion that retail money was the “dumb” money, calling the notion “antiquated.”
On the whole, Quirk stated that TD Ameritrade was seeing increased activity across the board, though things certainly weren't back to the way they were before 2008. He described a three step process where retail investors gradually move “from sitting into the stands, to the sidelines to getting into the game.”
Investors can get this indicator on Benzinga Pro's calendar.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft