22 Killed In Collision On Road In United Arab Emirates, 24 Others Injured After Truck And Bus Collide In UAE Town Of Al-Ain
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Police are reporting at least 22 people to have been killed after a truck carrying a large amount of gravel collided with a bus carrying 46 Asian migrant workers in the town of al-Ain in the United Arab Emirates.
According to a Reuters report, the truck driver lost control of his vehicle, causing it to land on top of the bus and trap its passengers under the cargo of gravel.
24 people were reportedly injured with at least five in critical condition, officials from two hospitals in al-Ain told Reuters. While police did not disclose the nationalities of the dead, Dubai-based Gulf News daily reported they were mostly from Bangladesh.
The per capita death toll on UAE roads is among the highest in the world, according to World Health Organization data.
The UAE is a federation of seven emirates that include trade and tourism hub Dubai and oil-rich Abu Dhabi.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools