22 Killed In Collision On Road In United Arab Emirates, 24 Others Injured After Truck And Bus Collide In UAE Town Of Al-Ain
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Police are reporting at least 22 people to have been killed after a truck carrying a large amount of gravel collided with a bus carrying 46 Asian migrant workers in the town of al-Ain in the United Arab Emirates.
According to a Reuters report, the truck driver lost control of his vehicle, causing it to land on top of the bus and trap its passengers under the cargo of gravel.
24 people were reportedly injured with at least five in critical condition, officials from two hospitals in al-Ain told Reuters. While police did not disclose the nationalities of the dead, Dubai-based Gulf News daily reported they were mostly from Bangladesh.
The per capita death toll on UAE roads is among the highest in the world, according to World Health Organization data.
The UAE is a federation of seven emirates that include trade and tourism hub Dubai and oil-rich Abu Dhabi.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers