Burqas for Babies Fatwa Demanded by Arabian Muslim Cleric
By Dominic Gover | February 5, 2013 4:09 AM EST
A Muslim cleric in Saudi Arabia has called for baby girls to be clad in burqas.
Sheikh Abdullah Daoud made his demand in a television interview and said it would stop child sex abuse in Saudi Arabia. Only girls would wear burqas, he said.
Daoud told al-Majd TV that babies were being abused in the desert kingdom but refused to divulge his sources for the claim.
Senior Islamic officials criticised his fatwas and said it was unregulated and without force.
A former judge at the Saudi Board of Grievances, Sheikh Mohammad al-Jana, said Daoud's call insulted Islam and denigrated sharia law.
Under strict Islamic law, females must don the burqa when they reach puberty.
The "burqas for babies" call has sparked a fierce debate on social media websites.
Twitter user Malaka Elvazgi wrote: "Burkas for babies is disturbing. Now the baby victims are blamed for men's crimes. Allah help us stop the ignorance."
Saudi Arabia has tough laws governing women who are regarded as legally minors without equal status to men. Women are prevented from voting or holding political office and Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which does not issue driving licences to women. It is not possible for a woman to open an bank account or undergo a medical operation without her husband's permission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide