Burqas for Babies Fatwa Demanded by Arabian Muslim Cleric
By Dominic Gover | February 5, 2013 4:09 AM EST
A Muslim cleric in Saudi Arabia has called for baby girls to be clad in burqas.
Sheikh Abdullah Daoud made his demand in a television interview and said it would stop child sex abuse in Saudi Arabia. Only girls would wear burqas, he said.
Daoud told al-Majd TV that babies were being abused in the desert kingdom but refused to divulge his sources for the claim.
Senior Islamic officials criticised his fatwas and said it was unregulated and without force.
A former judge at the Saudi Board of Grievances, Sheikh Mohammad al-Jana, said Daoud's call insulted Islam and denigrated sharia law.
Under strict Islamic law, females must don the burqa when they reach puberty.
The "burqas for babies" call has sparked a fierce debate on social media websites.
Twitter user Malaka Elvazgi wrote: "Burkas for babies is disturbing. Now the baby victims are blamed for men's crimes. Allah help us stop the ignorance."
Saudi Arabia has tough laws governing women who are regarded as legally minors without equal status to men. Women are prevented from voting or holding political office and Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which does not issue driving licences to women. It is not possible for a woman to open an bank account or undergo a medical operation without her husband's permission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia