Burqas for Babies Fatwa Demanded by Arabian Muslim Cleric
By Dominic Gover | February 5, 2013 4:09 AM EST
A Muslim cleric in Saudi Arabia has called for baby girls to be clad in burqas.
Sheikh Abdullah Daoud made his demand in a television interview and said it would stop child sex abuse in Saudi Arabia. Only girls would wear burqas, he said.
Daoud told al-Majd TV that babies were being abused in the desert kingdom but refused to divulge his sources for the claim.
Senior Islamic officials criticised his fatwas and said it was unregulated and without force.
A former judge at the Saudi Board of Grievances, Sheikh Mohammad al-Jana, said Daoud's call insulted Islam and denigrated sharia law.
Under strict Islamic law, females must don the burqa when they reach puberty.
The "burqas for babies" call has sparked a fierce debate on social media websites.
Twitter user Malaka Elvazgi wrote: "Burkas for babies is disturbing. Now the baby victims are blamed for men's crimes. Allah help us stop the ignorance."
Saudi Arabia has tough laws governing women who are regarded as legally minors without equal status to men. Women are prevented from voting or holding political office and Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which does not issue driving licences to women. It is not possible for a woman to open an bank account or undergo a medical operation without her husband's permission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports