Arsenal’s Newest Acquisition Compares Gunners to World Champions
By Adrian Back | February 5, 2013 2:25 AM EST
Nacho Monreal believes that it will be easier to adapt to life at Arsenal as the north London club have a similar footballing philosophy to that of World and European champions Spain.
The 26-year-old made his Arsenal debut in the 1-0 win over Stoke in what is sure to have been a culture shock against a side with a reputation for being very direct and physical.
While the Spain international believes that the Premier League is very different to La Liga, he admits that it has been slightly easier to adapt to playing for Arsenal as manager Arsene Wenger likes his players to see plenty of the ball.
"The Premier League is one of the strongest there is and everyone knows about it. It's a completely different way of playing to the Spanish League - it's a lot more physical, for example. As the days go by I'll get used to things and I'll give my all," Monreal told the Arsenal website.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football."
Spain have become the masters at dominating play with their intricate football and numerous Spanish players have been able to bring this style to the Premier League.
The likes of David Silva and Juan Mata have been sensational since moving to England, while Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla has been a revelation since joining the club from Malaga in the summer.
Monreal played alongside Cazorla at Malaga and he has revealed that he did speak with his fellow Spaniard when he learned a move to the Emirates was on the cards.
"Yes, I spoke to Santi, we had a long conversation about things," added Monreal. "I asked how things were here and he only had very positive things to say. He said that Arsenal was a massive club, the people are great and it's really just a big family. He only had good things to say. I am sure we can be successful this season and I am really looking forward to the challenge.
"Yes it does [help that Cazorla has been a success]. It helps that I've been able to share a dressing room with him at Malaga, that everything's gone well and that the people here have been incredible in welcoming me.
"As there's a familiar face in Santi, I'm a lot calmer about things. Having shared a dressing room with someone who's already made this journey is a good feeling. Now it's my turn and I can't wait to follow in his footsteps."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June