Super Bowl Holding Call: Did The 49ers Get Robbed In The Fourth Quarter? [VIDEO]
February 5, 2013 2:03 AM EST
The Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers didn’t come without controversy.
The 2013 Super Bowl champs essentially clinched their win when the 49ers failed to convert a fourth down at the Baltimore five-yard line with 1:46 remaining in the final quarter. The Ravens took over on downs with a five-point lead and didn’t allow the 49ers to run another play.
Colin Kaepernick’s pass attempt to Michael Crabtree was incomplete, but Baltimore may have gotten away with a penalty. Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith made contact with Crabtree, and could have been called for pass interference.
San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh thought a flag should have been thrown. He was irate on the sidelines, signaling for the officials to call Jones for holding.
"I realize I'm on the side of the 49ers," said Harbaugh. "I'm the coach of the 49ers. There is some bias there. But I wouldn't be bringing it up unless it was obvious. But that's not the way (the refs) saw it. That's the only reason I bring it up."
Crabtree also felt there was excessive holding on the play.
"When somebody grabs you, you always expect a call," Crabtree told the San Jose Mercury News. "But you can't whine to the refs. It is what it is."
There was clearly a lot of contact on the pass. Kaepernick threw the ball in the end zone soon after the snap, in order to avoid pressure. Smith grabbed Crabtree as he began his route, and the ball landed over his head.
It would have been hard to argue against the call, if a flag had been thrown. However, CBS analyst Phil Simms agreed with the decision to give the Ravens the ball.
“That’s a good no call,” said Simms on the television broadcast. “I know there’s contact, but Crabtree was pushing off just as much.”
Did the 49ers get robbed in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVII? Decide for yourself by watching the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate