Super Bowl Holding Call: Did The 49ers Get Robbed In The Fourth Quarter? [VIDEO]
February 5, 2013 2:03 AM EST
The Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers didn’t come without controversy.
The 2013 Super Bowl champs essentially clinched their win when the 49ers failed to convert a fourth down at the Baltimore five-yard line with 1:46 remaining in the final quarter. The Ravens took over on downs with a five-point lead and didn’t allow the 49ers to run another play.
Colin Kaepernick’s pass attempt to Michael Crabtree was incomplete, but Baltimore may have gotten away with a penalty. Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith made contact with Crabtree, and could have been called for pass interference.
San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh thought a flag should have been thrown. He was irate on the sidelines, signaling for the officials to call Jones for holding.
"I realize I'm on the side of the 49ers," said Harbaugh. "I'm the coach of the 49ers. There is some bias there. But I wouldn't be bringing it up unless it was obvious. But that's not the way (the refs) saw it. That's the only reason I bring it up."
Crabtree also felt there was excessive holding on the play.
"When somebody grabs you, you always expect a call," Crabtree told the San Jose Mercury News. "But you can't whine to the refs. It is what it is."
There was clearly a lot of contact on the pass. Kaepernick threw the ball in the end zone soon after the snap, in order to avoid pressure. Smith grabbed Crabtree as he began his route, and the ball landed over his head.
It would have been hard to argue against the call, if a flag had been thrown. However, CBS analyst Phil Simms agreed with the decision to give the Ravens the ball.
“That’s a good no call,” said Simms on the television broadcast. “I know there’s contact, but Crabtree was pushing off just as much.”
Did the 49ers get robbed in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVII? Decide for yourself by watching the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone