Gina Rinehart Loses $1bn and Deposed as World's Richest Woman
By Hannah Osborne | February 5, 2013 2:04 AM EST
Gina Rinehart, the 58-year-old mining tycoon, lost her spot as the richest woman in the world but remained the wealthiest Australian with her $17 billion (£10.8 billion) fortune.
The Forbes Rich List shows that Rinehart out-earned the second richest Aussie by more than 2.5 times; Glencore International CEO Ivan Glasenberg earned $6.7 billion (£4.25 million).
Rinehart was also the only woman to appear on Australia's top 50 rich list.
Last year, the heiress of Hancock Prospecting lost just under $1 billion - she was worth $18 billion (£11.4 billion) in last year's list having doubled her fortune from the year before following a deal with South Korean steel giant Posco.
The company took a 15 percent stake in her Roy Hill iron ore mine in Western Australia in a deal valuing around $10 billion (£6.35 billion).
However, Rinehart lost a chunk of her fortune in 2012 thanks to sharp falls in iron ore and coal prices, which damaged the Australian mining industry.
In September, Australia's BRW magazine said around $15 billion (£9.9 billion) had been wiped from the wealth of Australia's mining tycoons in just four months.
Sued by three children
Princes of iron ore fell by around 39 per cent between April and September.
Rinehart also lost a legal battle with real estate magnate Stan Perron, which cost her dearly. Her battle with Australia's 12 richest person saw her lose a slice of her Hamersley iron ore royalties.
Hamersley is Rinehart's original source of wealth, which she inherited from her father Lang Hancock before branching out into other sectors of business, including the media industry.
Last year she also cut three of her children out of the family trust because she thought they were not fit to manage the fortune.
The children, Hope, Bianca and Joan, are now suing their mother to get her removed from her position as head of the Hope Margaret Hancock Trust because of "serious misconduct".
As well as a substantial fortune, the trust also holds almost a quarter share in Hancock Prospecting.
Rinehart said her three eldest were lazy and spoiled. Her youngest daughter, Ginia, sided with her mother.
Christy Walton, the daughter-in-law of the late WalMart founder Sam Walton, has an estimated net worth of $25.3bn
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices