Can Apple Clean Foxconn’s Labor Image?
By Aabha Rathee | February 5, 2013 1:51 AM EST
In another step aimed at improving its image as an employer, Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) main manufacturing partner, Foxconn, will allow workers to elect union representatives. The latest reform comes after Apple reportedly put pressure on the Taiwanese company to listen to its workers, who had been protesting Foxconn’s now widely reported abuse of labor rights.
The labor conditions at the company, which also manufactures electronics for several other tech firms, including Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ), Sony (NYSE:SNE), and Nintendo, came into the spotlight after a spate of worker suicides in 2009 and 2010. Last year, Apple ordered an audit of Foxconn’s factories by the independent Fair Labor Association, which found several shortcomings in the pay structure and worker safety provisions. The latest plan follows recommendations from the FLA report and comes after other changes, such as increased wages and improved amenities, were made.
“As a part of efforts to implement the Action Plan that was developed together with the Fair Labor Association, Foxconn is introducing measures to enhance employee representation in the Foxconn Labor Union and to raise employees’ awareness of the organization,” the company said in a statement.
Currently, Foxconn’s labor union in headed by a senior member of the company’s management. However, it has now announced that voting to elect a chairman and 20 union members will be conducted every five years. Taiwan-based Foxconn employs around 1.2 million workers across China.
“The process through which Foxconn’s current labor union representatives were chosen was not democratic because there was no open and transparent nomination of candidates, and it is not representative because more than half of the committee members are from management,” a person working on the election plans told the Financial Times.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers