Blackbuck Poaching Case: Salman Khan and Other Accused Actors Fail to Appear in Court
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 5, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Bollywood super star Salman Khan did not appear in the Jodhpur court on Monday for a hearing on the 1998 blackbuck poaching case in Rajasthan.
Salman along with Saif Ali Khan, Tabbu, Neelam, Sonali Bendre and two others were summoned by the court to hear the revised charges booked against them for shooting and killing the protected blackbuck at Kankani village in Jodhpur. The acccused actors failed to appear in court.
Stating that the actor could not come to court on account of his shooting schedules, Salman's lawyer Hastimal Saraswat said, "We moved an application in the court today seeking his exemption from appearing in the court on the ground that he was busy in shooting."
The court has scheduled the next hearing on March 23.
The court was supposed to read out the revised charges to all the actors, who were hunting the blackbuck during the shooting of the movie "Hum Saath Saath Hai".
In 2012, the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (District) had booked Salman under Section 51 of Wildlife Act, Section 27 of Arms Act and Section 148 (rioting and use of deadly weapons) of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The rest of the actors including Saif, Tabu, Sonali, Neelam, Dushyant Singh and Dinesh Gawre were booked under Section 51 and Section 52 (attempts to contravene, or abet the contravention of, any of the provisions) of Wildlife Act and Sections 147 (punishment for rioting) and 149 (unlawful assembly) of IPC.
Later, the accused filed a review petition in Session's court after which Section 27 of Arms Act and Section 148 of IPC were dropped against Salman, charges under Sections 51 of Wildlife Act and Sections 147 and 149 of IPC were dropped against the rest.
The state government challenged the Session's court verdict in the High court which upheld the decision in Salman's case. The others were booked under the Section 149 of IPC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans