Super Bowl 2013: Beyonce's Halftime Show Compared to Madonna and Michael Jackson [VIDEOS]
By Toyin Owoseje | February 5, 2013 12:01 AM EST
Beyoncé's electrifying Super Bowl half-time performance has drawn comparisons to Madonna's and Michael Jackson's shows.
After her lip-syncing controversy at the presidential inauguration in January, the Single Ladies star stormed the stage at the New Orleans Superdome during the NFL clash between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens in front of 76,500 people.
Dressed in a plunging leather Rubin Singer corset, she sang a medley of her solo hits before being briefly joined on stage by former Destiny Child members Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.
When Jackson took to the stage in 1993 the Super Bowl's ratings increased 8.6 percent over the previous year. He was credited with redefining the annual event which has developed into a showcase for mammoth stars keen to push new tours and albums.
In 2012, Madonna put on an elaborate show which featured extravagant costumes and a backup crew including Nicki Minaj and MIA. She smashed ratings records when more than 112.5 million TV viewers tuned in to watch.
Beyoncé had a tough act to follow. While some fans hailed Queen B's show as "the greatest Superbowl halftime performance ever" others said she failed to reach the benchmark set by Madonna and Jackson.
One said: "[Beyonce] is flawless but this was just same old, same old, nothing new, kind of trashy, and kind of ghetto. Why is it that Madonna is the only one who can reinvent herself? Where is the creativity? I can only watch Beyonce shake her butt and swing her hair so many times."
Another wrote: "Michael Jackson (may God rest his soul) is the only one who could give more at this point. No one else can top Beyonce right now, so good luck finding someone who does a better job, live."
"Madonna will always rock and be the queen of pop. Madonna all the way every time. She hasn't had a 30-year successful career for nothing," another added.
Watch all three performances below and decide for yourself...
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date