Dembele Passes Judgement Over Tottenham Signing
By Vanessa Keller | February 4, 2013 11:32 PM EST
Moussa Dembele says that he is already impressed by Lewis Holtby's performances in Tottenham's training sessions, though the Belgian midfielder isn't concerned that he will lose his place in the side's starting line up to the new signing.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, and after their win over West Bromich Albion at the weekend, the club have climbed to within a point of third-placed Chelsea.
Holtby played his second match for Tottenham against the Midlands side, coming on as a replacement for the injured Jermain Defoe, and Dembele believes there's a lot more to come from the player who has been touted for big things in Germany.
"I have faith in my own abilities and don't see the arrival of another midfielder as a threat to my place in the team," he told ESPN.
"To be honest, I do not follow football outside of the Premier League so I could not tell you so much about Holtby, but you can see straight away from his first training session that he is a talented player.
"Holtby feels like he is all-rounded to me. He is good on the ball, likes to play an accurate pass and he has a bit of everything. Top clubs need quality players and it looks like we have signed another one."
Tottenham had signed Holtby with the arrangement that the midfielder would join the club when his contract ran out with Schalke in the summer; but after Sandro was ruled out until the end of the season with an injury, Andre Villas-Boas sought to bring forward the deal.
And the accelerated acquisition of Holtby could prove to be beneficial on multiple fronts, with Defoe now ruled out for a number of weeks with injury.
Villas-Boas expressed regret after the striker came off in the 39th minute against West Brom, telling reporters: "We'll have to scan it to see if there is more damage, but hopefully it will only be two to three weeks.
"He has some ligament damage to his ankle. We will have to see the full extent of the injury. But we will miss him badly."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28