Malaga Boss: Monreal's Move to Arsenal a Major Setback
By Vishnuprasad S | February 4, 2013 11:17 PM EST
Malaga manager Manuel Pellegrini has expressed his disappointment after losing left-back Nacho Monreal to Arsenal on transfer deadline day last month.
The 26-year-old, who joined the Gunners for a fee of around £8.5m just a few minutes before the window closed, made his Premier League debut in the 1-0 win over Stoke City at the Emirates this weekend.
Pellegrini admits Malaga wanted to keep Monreal. However, the club's current financial situation left them no choice but to let the Spain international leave Andalusia.
"Monreal's exit is a very sad moment for the team. It deprives us of a very important player who performed to the highest standards. Unfortunately, the reality of the club is what it is, and there is no way of hiding it," Goal.com quoted the Chilean as saying.
"It was an option that came up at the last minute, and the club thought it was appropriate. I understand they have to try and balance the books, because the pressure is on us from all sides, and we have received punishments. It is a major loss to us in sporting terms," Pellegrini pointed out.
Monreal's move from Malaga to Arsenal came just five months after the north London outfit bought his former teammate and compatriot Santi Cazorla.
Wenger Impressed with Monreal Debut
Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger has stated he was impressed with Nacho Monreal's Arsenal debut at the weekend. The wing-back, who arrived on the deadline day, was handed an immediate start against Stoke City and the manager claims he was more than happy with the player's pefromace.
"I said before the game that if you want somebody to have a cultural shock, there's no better team than Stoke. He got that. He dealt well with the situation. I believe everybody is [now] convinced that he has the quality to play for Arsenal. That of course is already a huge step after a first game," the Frenchman told the club web site.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced