Malaga Boss: Monreal's Move to Arsenal a Major Setback
By Vishnuprasad S | February 4, 2013 11:17 PM EST
Malaga manager Manuel Pellegrini has expressed his disappointment after losing left-back Nacho Monreal to Arsenal on transfer deadline day last month.
The 26-year-old, who joined the Gunners for a fee of around £8.5m just a few minutes before the window closed, made his Premier League debut in the 1-0 win over Stoke City at the Emirates this weekend.
Pellegrini admits Malaga wanted to keep Monreal. However, the club's current financial situation left them no choice but to let the Spain international leave Andalusia.
"Monreal's exit is a very sad moment for the team. It deprives us of a very important player who performed to the highest standards. Unfortunately, the reality of the club is what it is, and there is no way of hiding it," Goal.com quoted the Chilean as saying.
"It was an option that came up at the last minute, and the club thought it was appropriate. I understand they have to try and balance the books, because the pressure is on us from all sides, and we have received punishments. It is a major loss to us in sporting terms," Pellegrini pointed out.
Monreal's move from Malaga to Arsenal came just five months after the north London outfit bought his former teammate and compatriot Santi Cazorla.
Wenger Impressed with Monreal Debut
Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger has stated he was impressed with Nacho Monreal's Arsenal debut at the weekend. The wing-back, who arrived on the deadline day, was handed an immediate start against Stoke City and the manager claims he was more than happy with the player's pefromace.
"I said before the game that if you want somebody to have a cultural shock, there's no better team than Stoke. He got that. He dealt well with the situation. I believe everybody is [now] convinced that he has the quality to play for Arsenal. That of course is already a huge step after a first game," the Frenchman told the club web site.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS