European Market Briefing: Cautious Retreat As Politics Trumps Economic Optimism [VIDEO]
By Martin Baccardax | February 4, 2013 10:57 PM EST
European stocks pulled back from multi-year highs in thin trading Monday as investors eyed political development in Spain and Italy ahead of key interest rate decision this week by the European Central Bank.
Benchmark Spanish and Italian bond yields rose cautiously in Europe amid renewed pressure on Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to resign over corruption allegations and a new push by former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to entangle his rivals into the on-going financial scandal at Banca Monte dei Pashci ahead of this month's parliamentary elections.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Would Have to Fight Alone – NATO; Port City Near Russia Fears it is Next Target
- West is ‘Really Weak’ vs Russia, Says Ukrainian Diplomat; Crisis Has Displaced Over 1M People
- Ukraine Crisis: Russia vs US, EU…. And the Winner is Actually China
- New Magaluf Sex Scandal: 15 Men Lick Cream Off British Teen’s Naked Breasts
- Growing Number of Canadian Workers Opt to Receive Bitcoin Salaries
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged