Euro zone sentiment rises for 6th straight month in February
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Euro zone sentiment improved for a sixth consecutive month in February with expectations rising to their highest level since June 2007, before the financial and debt crises, Sentix said on Monday.
The research group said its monthly index tracking investor sentiment in the 17-nation currency bloc climbed to -3.9 in February from -7.0 in January, compared to a Reuters consensus forecast of -3.0.
"The overall index shows that the euro zone economy is about to grow again," Sentix said in a statement, adding that it expected the index to move into positive territory soon, probably next month.
"Investors have needed quite a long time to recognise that since last summer (with ECB and politicians' statements on the euro ...) a fundamental and positive change has taken hold," it added.
A sub-index of expectations rose to 15.8 in February, its highest level since June 2007, from 12.0 in January. Current conditions rose to -21.8 in February from -24.3.
A separate index for Germany showed sentiment rising to 24.3 in February, its highest level since July 2011 and up from 17.7 with expectations jumping to 22.1 from 14.6.
(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by John Stonestreet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet