Euro zone sentiment rises for 6th straight month in February
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Euro zone sentiment improved for a sixth consecutive month in February with expectations rising to their highest level since June 2007, before the financial and debt crises, Sentix said on Monday.
The research group said its monthly index tracking investor sentiment in the 17-nation currency bloc climbed to -3.9 in February from -7.0 in January, compared to a Reuters consensus forecast of -3.0.
"The overall index shows that the euro zone economy is about to grow again," Sentix said in a statement, adding that it expected the index to move into positive territory soon, probably next month.
"Investors have needed quite a long time to recognise that since last summer (with ECB and politicians' statements on the euro ...) a fundamental and positive change has taken hold," it added.
A sub-index of expectations rose to 15.8 in February, its highest level since June 2007, from 12.0 in January. Current conditions rose to -21.8 in February from -24.3.
A separate index for Germany showed sentiment rising to 24.3 in February, its highest level since July 2011 and up from 17.7 with expectations jumping to 22.1 from 14.6.
(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by John Stonestreet)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced