Euro zone sentiment rises for 6th straight month in February
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Euro zone sentiment improved for a sixth consecutive month in February with expectations rising to their highest level since June 2007, before the financial and debt crises, Sentix said on Monday.
The research group said its monthly index tracking investor sentiment in the 17-nation currency bloc climbed to -3.9 in February from -7.0 in January, compared to a Reuters consensus forecast of -3.0.
"The overall index shows that the euro zone economy is about to grow again," Sentix said in a statement, adding that it expected the index to move into positive territory soon, probably next month.
"Investors have needed quite a long time to recognise that since last summer (with ECB and politicians' statements on the euro ...) a fundamental and positive change has taken hold," it added.
A sub-index of expectations rose to 15.8 in February, its highest level since June 2007, from 12.0 in January. Current conditions rose to -21.8 in February from -24.3.
A separate index for Germany showed sentiment rising to 24.3 in February, its highest level since July 2011 and up from 17.7 with expectations jumping to 22.1 from 14.6.
(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by John Stonestreet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge