Bank capital cushions more important than role split - BIS
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Separating banks' riskier trading activity from their retail business would make the banking system more complex and is less important that building bigger capital buffers to prevent future crises, a top central banking official was quoted saying.
"From my point of view, higher capital and liquidity requirements are more important for stabilising banks than the separation of proprietary trading and deposit-taking business," Jaime Caruana, general manager of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), was quoted saying in Handelsblatt newspaper.
However, it was up to finance ministers if they want to make changes to the universal banking model, whereby retail and investment banking are under the same roof, he told the paper.
France and Germany are planning a reform of the banking system that will leave big lenders largely intact, despite a welter of rules aimed at making sure taxpayers are not forced to bail them out in the next crisis.
Meanwhile British Chancellor George Osborne is set to say later on Monday that banks which fail to guard their day-to-day banking from risky investment activities will face being dismantled.
The BIS has led efforts by international banking supervisors to force banks to bolster their loss-absorbing capital to help prevent the spread of financial crises.
Caruana said in the interview published on Monday it was too early to give the all-clear on the euro zone crisis, despite a period of relative calm in the markets following intervention by the European Central Bank.
"It is still possible that the euro crisis can break out again and worsen," he said, adding that politicians must make use of the calm brought by the ECB to push through reforms on a European and national level.
(Reporting by Jonathan Gould; Editing by David Holmes)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June