Centrica to pull out of new UK nuclear projects
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Utility group Centrica
Centrica has the option of taking a 20 percent stake in four new reactors - two at Hinkley Point in Somerset and two at Sizewell in Suffolk - in a partnership with France's state-owned utility EDF.
It cited uncertainty around project costs and the construction schedule for its decision on Monday.
"The lengthening time frame for a return on the capital invested in a project of this scale, have led us to conclude that participation is not right for Centrica," Centrica Chief Executive Sam Laidlaw said.
The company added that it would write off 20 percent of the pre-development expenditure, about 1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion), and it would return surplus capital to shareholders from a share buyback in the next 12 months.
EDF said last month that it would start discussions with Chinese state-owned nuclear company CGNPC about forming a partnership on its project to build the next generation of nuclear power plants in Britain, a top EDF official said.
Centrica said that it will retain its 20 per cent stake in eight of Britain's existing nuclear power stations.
Shares in Centrica were up 1.2 percent at 10:24 GMT.
(Reporting by Lorraine Turner; Editing by Paul Sandle and David Goodman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown