Centrica to pull out of new UK nuclear projects
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Utility group Centrica
Centrica has the option of taking a 20 percent stake in four new reactors - two at Hinkley Point in Somerset and two at Sizewell in Suffolk - in a partnership with France's state-owned utility EDF.
It cited uncertainty around project costs and the construction schedule for its decision on Monday.
"The lengthening time frame for a return on the capital invested in a project of this scale, have led us to conclude that participation is not right for Centrica," Centrica Chief Executive Sam Laidlaw said.
The company added that it would write off 20 percent of the pre-development expenditure, about 1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion), and it would return surplus capital to shareholders from a share buyback in the next 12 months.
EDF said last month that it would start discussions with Chinese state-owned nuclear company CGNPC about forming a partnership on its project to build the next generation of nuclear power plants in Britain, a top EDF official said.
Centrica said that it will retain its 20 per cent stake in eight of Britain's existing nuclear power stations.
Shares in Centrica were up 1.2 percent at 10:24 GMT.
(Reporting by Lorraine Turner; Editing by Paul Sandle and David Goodman)
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More