Centrica to pull out of new UK nuclear projects
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Utility group Centrica
Centrica has the option of taking a 20 percent stake in four new reactors - two at Hinkley Point in Somerset and two at Sizewell in Suffolk - in a partnership with France's state-owned utility EDF.
It cited uncertainty around project costs and the construction schedule for its decision on Monday.
"The lengthening time frame for a return on the capital invested in a project of this scale, have led us to conclude that participation is not right for Centrica," Centrica Chief Executive Sam Laidlaw said.
The company added that it would write off 20 percent of the pre-development expenditure, about 1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion), and it would return surplus capital to shareholders from a share buyback in the next 12 months.
EDF said last month that it would start discussions with Chinese state-owned nuclear company CGNPC about forming a partnership on its project to build the next generation of nuclear power plants in Britain, a top EDF official said.
Centrica said that it will retain its 20 per cent stake in eight of Britain's existing nuclear power stations.
Shares in Centrica were up 1.2 percent at 10:24 GMT.
(Reporting by Lorraine Turner; Editing by Paul Sandle and David Goodman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family