Centrica to pull out of new UK nuclear projects
February 4, 2013 10:14 PM EST
Utility group Centrica
Centrica has the option of taking a 20 percent stake in four new reactors - two at Hinkley Point in Somerset and two at Sizewell in Suffolk - in a partnership with France's state-owned utility EDF.
It cited uncertainty around project costs and the construction schedule for its decision on Monday.
"The lengthening time frame for a return on the capital invested in a project of this scale, have led us to conclude that participation is not right for Centrica," Centrica Chief Executive Sam Laidlaw said.
The company added that it would write off 20 percent of the pre-development expenditure, about 1 billion pounds ($1.6 billion), and it would return surplus capital to shareholders from a share buyback in the next 12 months.
EDF said last month that it would start discussions with Chinese state-owned nuclear company CGNPC about forming a partnership on its project to build the next generation of nuclear power plants in Britain, a top EDF official said.
Centrica said that it will retain its 20 per cent stake in eight of Britain's existing nuclear power stations.
Shares in Centrica were up 1.2 percent at 10:24 GMT.
(Reporting by Lorraine Turner; Editing by Paul Sandle and David Goodman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October