Japan Airlines Raises Full-Year Profit Forecast Despite Dreamliner Worries
By Geetha Pillai | February 4, 2013 9:53 PM EST
JAL has forecast a net profit of 163bn yen ($1.8bn; £1.1bn) for the year to 31 March 2013, up from the previous 140bn yen. But the company's net profit fell 3.7 percent to 140.64bn yen ($1.52bn) in the April-December period, from the same period previous year.
The company believes that the robust travel demand on Europe, North America and South East Asia routes would help the firm to offset the losses met due to the 787 groundings.
"While there are concerns of the impact of the suspended use of the Boeing 787 aircraft since January 2013, business has been robust, especially on European, North American and Southeast Asian routes," JAL said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the grounding of the Dreamliners is expected to cost the company nearly $8m from its yearly profits. Earlier, rival All Nippon Airways (ANA) announced that it would take 1.4bn yen hit in revenues from 787 groundings.
JAL said it will begin talks with Boeing about the compensation of the Dreamliner groundings.
"Rather than negotiations with Boeing, the important thing now is getting the 787 flying again safely as soon as we can," JAL's president Yoshiharu Ueki told the Reuters.
"However, when the situation has settled down we can and are preparing to begin those talks."
Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets were grounded across the globe following the US-initiated investigation in to apparent battery malfunction and related issues that include a fire on JAL plane in Boston and an emergency landing of an ANA flight in Japan.
The officials are yet to conclude the investigation in to the battery fire and other issues of the Dreamliners.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales