Japan Airlines Raises Full-Year Profit Forecast Despite Dreamliner Worries
By Geetha Pillai | February 4, 2013 9:53 PM EST
JAL has forecast a net profit of 163bn yen ($1.8bn; £1.1bn) for the year to 31 March 2013, up from the previous 140bn yen. But the company's net profit fell 3.7 percent to 140.64bn yen ($1.52bn) in the April-December period, from the same period previous year.
The company believes that the robust travel demand on Europe, North America and South East Asia routes would help the firm to offset the losses met due to the 787 groundings.
"While there are concerns of the impact of the suspended use of the Boeing 787 aircraft since January 2013, business has been robust, especially on European, North American and Southeast Asian routes," JAL said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the grounding of the Dreamliners is expected to cost the company nearly $8m from its yearly profits. Earlier, rival All Nippon Airways (ANA) announced that it would take 1.4bn yen hit in revenues from 787 groundings.
JAL said it will begin talks with Boeing about the compensation of the Dreamliner groundings.
"Rather than negotiations with Boeing, the important thing now is getting the 787 flying again safely as soon as we can," JAL's president Yoshiharu Ueki told the Reuters.
"However, when the situation has settled down we can and are preparing to begin those talks."
Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets were grounded across the globe following the US-initiated investigation in to apparent battery malfunction and related issues that include a fire on JAL plane in Boston and an emergency landing of an ANA flight in Japan.
The officials are yet to conclude the investigation in to the battery fire and other issues of the Dreamliners.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related