Gold Prices Hit Five-Month Low in India
February 4, 2013 8:49 PM EST
Gold traders in India, the world's biggest buyer of the metal, tried clearing off old stocks even as the yellow metal extended losses to hit its lowest level in more than five months weighed by a stronger rupee.
The weddings and festivals season has started in India, but the federal government plans to restrict gold buying by announcing more measures in addition to a 50 percent hike in import duty to keep a lid on its bloating current account deficit.
Traders had accumulated stocks, when the finance minister hinted of a duty hike on January 2, and later raised the duty on January 21.
The actively traded gold contract for April delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.17 percent lower at 30,549 rupees per 10 grams as of 2:59 p.m., after hitting a low of 30,487 rupees, a level last seen on August. 20.
The rupee, which hit the highest level in more than three-and-a-half-months, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
"Not many deals are happening as market has to clear the old stocks, which could finish this week," said a dealer with a state-run bullion importing bank in Mumbai.
However, in the overseas markets, gold ticked up, but failed to climb above a recent narrow trading range as mostly upbeat U.S. data took some shine off the precious metal, which withers when economic recovery gains traction.
Silver contract for March delivery was 0.42 percent lower at 58,177 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists