Tasered Buckingham Palace Knife Man Talhat Rehman to Appear in Court
By Ewan Palmer | February 4, 2013 8:16 PM EST
A man who was tasered by police as he wielded two knives outside Buckingham Palace is due to appear in court.
Talhat Rehman, 54, of Harrow, is due to appear at Westminister Magistrates' Court charged with two counts of possessing a bladed weapon in public and one count of affray.
Rehman was filmed holding one knife to his throat and another to his chest in front of a crowd of people during the Changing of the Guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace on 3 February.
Police eventually confronted Rehman and discharged a taser before arresting him.
The Queen and Prince Philip were not at Buckingham Palace at the time.
Eyewitnesses have been giving their reactions to the incident. Grant Shepherd posted a video of the incident on YouTube after tweeting: "Crazy man with a knife to his throat just stopped the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace."
Josh Greenberg added: "He was shouting but it was quite unintelligible. Police were clearly telling him to drop the knife and instructing the public to get back."
Kevin Burrows, 33, a kitchen porter from Kingston, Surrey, said: "The crowd had been pushed back behind a barrier but he came at the police. He was threatening them with knives.
"The police saw him and acted very quickly. They surrounded him within seconds. I saw the shot fired. It took a couple of seconds for him to hit the ground.
"I've never seen anything like it before. I didn't expect that, I didn't expect it whatsoever."
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "A man was seen outside the centre gate in possession of two knives. He was not making threats to members of the public but he was challenged by police."
According to the latest statistics from Scotland Yard, the Metropolitan Police used a taser 224 times between 1 October 2010 and 31 March 2011.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election