US Stock Futures Signal Flat Open Ahead Of Factory Orders Report
By Bhaskar Prasad | February 4, 2013 8:05 PM EST
The U.S. stock index futures point to a flat open Monday ahead of the Commerce Department's factory orders report.
The futures on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were up 0.06 percent, the futures on the Standard & Poor's 500 Index were down 0.03 percent and those on the Nasdaq 100 Index were down 0.05 percent.
Investors are likely to focus on the Commerce Department's factory orders report to be released later Monday. The report, which measures the change in the total value of the new purchase orders placed with manufacturers each month, is expected to rise 2.2 percent in December after remaining unchanged in November. The report will also include a revision of the durable goods orders data released about a week earlier, as well as the new data on non-durable goods order.
Investors will continue to focus on earnings reports with Gannett Co. Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Sysco Corp. (NYSE:SYY), Gilead Sciences Inc. (NASDAQ:GILD), Hologic Inc. (NASDAQ:HOLX) and Yum Brands Inc. (NYSE:YUM) expected to announce their quarterly results Monday.
On Friday, the U.S. stocks gained as investor confidence was lifted amid encouraging economic indicators. According to data released Friday by the Institute for Supply Management, Manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index, which rates the relative level of business conditions including employment, production, new orders, prices, supplier deliveries, and inventories, rose to 53.1 in January up from 50.2 in December. Significantly, the index remained in the expansion zone with a reading above 50.
Meanwhile, according to the data released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nonfarm payrolls report, which measures the change in the number of people employed in the previous month, excluding the farming industry, rose to 157,000 in January down from 196,000 reported in December. Also, as per the data released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment report, which measures the percentage of the total workforce that was unemployed and actively seeking employment in the previous month, marginally rose to 7.9 percent in January from 7.8 percent in December.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.08 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 1.01 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 1.18 percent.
European markets fell Monday with London's FTSE 100 moving down 11.43 points, Germany's DAX 30 index falling 8.77 points and France's CAC 40 declining 4 points.
Asian stock markets rose Monday with China’s Shanghai Composite gaining 9.13 points, Japan’s Nikkei moving up 69.01 points and India’s Sensex advancing 76.48 points. Japan's monetary base rose in January in comparison to the same period last year. According to the data released Monday by the Bank of Japan (BoJ), the country’s monetary base advanced 10.9 percent in January from an 11.8 percent rise in December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones