UK's Small Businesses Expect Activity Bounce - CBI Survey
By Shane Croucher | February 4, 2013 7:27 PM EST
Optimism is creeping back into Britian's smaller firms as many expect output and domestic orders to pick up in the three months from January, according to a survey by Britain's biggest business lobbyist the Confederation of British Industry.
This is despite smaller firms reporting a decline in domestic and export orders in the three months to January, as the depressed economy muddled through yet another contraction of GDP, which slumped by -0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012.
"Activity has continued to contract this quarter, with falling production disappointing growth expectations," said Anna Leach, CBI Head of Economic Analysis.
"Nonetheless, better news on the domestic front is expected, with output and domestic orders set to rise modestly. But there is little sign of improvement in export prospects, and uncertainty over demand continues to weigh on investment plans."
There was a +9 percent balance from the survey's 347 respondents on expectations of total new orders growth over the coming three months.
However, this will be solely driven by domestic orders - with a positive balance of +10 percent - as new export orders are expected by most to continue falling, with a negative balance of -2 percent.
A global downturn - with slowing growth in emerging markets, no resolution to the eurozone crisis, and fiscal concerns in the US - is weighing heavily on the UK's export market.
Chancellor George Osborne has set the Treasury a target of increasing the total value of Britain's exports to £1tn by the end of the decade.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown