UK's Small Businesses Expect Activity Bounce - CBI Survey
By Shane Croucher | February 4, 2013 7:27 PM EST
Optimism is creeping back into Britian's smaller firms as many expect output and domestic orders to pick up in the three months from January, according to a survey by Britain's biggest business lobbyist the Confederation of British Industry.
This is despite smaller firms reporting a decline in domestic and export orders in the three months to January, as the depressed economy muddled through yet another contraction of GDP, which slumped by -0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012.
"Activity has continued to contract this quarter, with falling production disappointing growth expectations," said Anna Leach, CBI Head of Economic Analysis.
"Nonetheless, better news on the domestic front is expected, with output and domestic orders set to rise modestly. But there is little sign of improvement in export prospects, and uncertainty over demand continues to weigh on investment plans."
There was a +9 percent balance from the survey's 347 respondents on expectations of total new orders growth over the coming three months.
However, this will be solely driven by domestic orders - with a positive balance of +10 percent - as new export orders are expected by most to continue falling, with a negative balance of -2 percent.
A global downturn - with slowing growth in emerging markets, no resolution to the eurozone crisis, and fiscal concerns in the US - is weighing heavily on the UK's export market.
Chancellor George Osborne has set the Treasury a target of increasing the total value of Britain's exports to £1tn by the end of the decade.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu