8 Dead, Over 38 Injured As Tour Bus Crashes On US Highway; Cause Of Accident Yet To Be Ascertained
By Sreeja V N | February 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
At least eight people were killed and another 38 were injured after a tour bus collided with two other buses and flipped over in the mountains of South California, Sunday night, authorities said.
The accident that occurred around 6.30 p.m. Sunday, involved three vehicles - a tour bus carrying a group of people from Tijuana, Mexico, a sedan and a pickup truck pulling a trailer on Highway 38 near Mentone about 70 miles (113 km) east of Los Angeles.
According to an Associated Press report quoting California Highway Patrol spokesman Mario Lopez, the bus driver reported having braking problems when the bus came down the mountain, first hitting the sedan and then flipping over and crashing the truck.
"Parties in the tour bus were ejected from the bus...We have multiple fatalities on the scene," fire department spokesman Eric Sherwin told Reuters.
However, he said the exact cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained.
“Investigation into the cause hasn’t even begun, because patient treatment and transport takes priority,” Sherwin said, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Initial reports stated that at least 8 were dead and over 38 people were injured of which 27 people were taken to local hospital for treatment. Several others were treated at the accident site. Injuries varied from minor to life-threatening and about nine ambulances were called to the scene to take the patients to hospitals, Sherwin said.
Several passengers were ejected from the bus while many others were trapped in the wreckage. Rescue workers were unable to gauge the exact number of fatalities as operations to pull out victims from the wreckage continued.
All fatalities were reported from the bus, which had 38 passengers on board including the driver and a cleaner.
The highway is one of the three roads leading to Big Bear Lake, a recreational area popular with skiers, Sherwin said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports