AVB Defends Spurs’ Transfer Activity after Defoe Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 6:30 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas believes Tottenham can cope with the absence of Jermain Defoe. The England striker picked up an ankle injury in the 1-0 win over West Brom on Sunday. The ex-Chelsea boss has called on Welsh winger Gareth Bale to step into a striker's role.
AVB also insisted his decision to not sign more strikers in the January transfer window was the right one. Spurs have only two recognised strikers in the first team - Defoe (who is injured) and Togo's Emmanuel Adebayor (who is away for the African Cup of Nations).
"Gareth Bale played a role in the middle from the start, so we have options. We have solutions. We don't always have to be with a strike[r]. Anyway, the team has a lot of goals and we are able to adapt. [Not signing a striker in January] was a risk we were willing to take. We don't have control over injuries. They happen when you least expect them to," AVB explained.
Defoe is likely to be out of action for two to three weeks and is set to miss England's friendly against Brazil on Wednesday.
"We just have to scan it to make sure but we have a lot of trust in our medical department and their ability to make this recover process even shorter," AVB continued.
Bale, meanwhile, is delighted with the shift. The 23-year-old played in the centre after Defoe's injury against the Baggies and scored the only goal of the game, giving the north London club sorely needed three points.
"I enjoy it. It's a role that I'm learning season by season. I've come in more often than previous seasons. I really enjoy it, it's a new experience for me. It's a chance to improve my game and add another dimension," Bale said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia