AVB Defends Spurs’ Transfer Activity after Defoe Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 6:30 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas believes Tottenham can cope with the absence of Jermain Defoe. The England striker picked up an ankle injury in the 1-0 win over West Brom on Sunday. The ex-Chelsea boss has called on Welsh winger Gareth Bale to step into a striker's role.
AVB also insisted his decision to not sign more strikers in the January transfer window was the right one. Spurs have only two recognised strikers in the first team - Defoe (who is injured) and Togo's Emmanuel Adebayor (who is away for the African Cup of Nations).
"Gareth Bale played a role in the middle from the start, so we have options. We have solutions. We don't always have to be with a strike[r]. Anyway, the team has a lot of goals and we are able to adapt. [Not signing a striker in January] was a risk we were willing to take. We don't have control over injuries. They happen when you least expect them to," AVB explained.
Defoe is likely to be out of action for two to three weeks and is set to miss England's friendly against Brazil on Wednesday.
"We just have to scan it to make sure but we have a lot of trust in our medical department and their ability to make this recover process even shorter," AVB continued.
Bale, meanwhile, is delighted with the shift. The 23-year-old played in the centre after Defoe's injury against the Baggies and scored the only goal of the game, giving the north London club sorely needed three points.
"I enjoy it. It's a role that I'm learning season by season. I've come in more often than previous seasons. I really enjoy it, it's a new experience for me. It's a chance to improve my game and add another dimension," Bale said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced