AVB Defends Spurs’ Transfer Activity after Defoe Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 6:30 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas believes Tottenham can cope with the absence of Jermain Defoe. The England striker picked up an ankle injury in the 1-0 win over West Brom on Sunday. The ex-Chelsea boss has called on Welsh winger Gareth Bale to step into a striker's role.
AVB also insisted his decision to not sign more strikers in the January transfer window was the right one. Spurs have only two recognised strikers in the first team - Defoe (who is injured) and Togo's Emmanuel Adebayor (who is away for the African Cup of Nations).
"Gareth Bale played a role in the middle from the start, so we have options. We have solutions. We don't always have to be with a strike[r]. Anyway, the team has a lot of goals and we are able to adapt. [Not signing a striker in January] was a risk we were willing to take. We don't have control over injuries. They happen when you least expect them to," AVB explained.
Defoe is likely to be out of action for two to three weeks and is set to miss England's friendly against Brazil on Wednesday.
"We just have to scan it to make sure but we have a lot of trust in our medical department and their ability to make this recover process even shorter," AVB continued.
Bale, meanwhile, is delighted with the shift. The 23-year-old played in the centre after Defoe's injury against the Baggies and scored the only goal of the game, giving the north London club sorely needed three points.
"I enjoy it. It's a role that I'm learning season by season. I've come in more often than previous seasons. I really enjoy it, it's a new experience for me. It's a chance to improve my game and add another dimension," Bale said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report