China Non-Manufacturing PMI Edges up in January
By Jerin Mathew | February 4, 2013 3:52 PM EST
China's increasingly important services sector expanded in January at the fastest pace since August in the latest evidence for the ongoing recovery in the world's second largest economy.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said that China's official Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) for the non-manufacturing sector rose to 56.2 in January from 56.1 in December. A reading above 50 indicates an expansion in the sector.
The data follows the NBS' PMI for the manufacturing sector released on Friday. The index, based on a significantly larger sample size, showed a reading of 50.4 in January, missing market expectations for an increase to 51.0 in January from 50.6 in December.
In contrast, a separate survey from HSBC Holdings and Markit Economics revealed an increase in the manufacturing sector to the highest level in two years. HSBC and Markit are due to release their services survey on 5 February. In December, the index declined to 51.7 for the third straight month of decline.
The sub-indexes for the retail, air cargo and shipping sectors all showed increases with reading surging above 60 in January. Nevertheless, activity declined to 61.6 from 61.9 in the vital construction sector.
The new orders index fell to 53.7 from 54.3 in December, indicating a slowdown in demand. The intermediate input price index rose to 58.2 from 53.8 due to rising costs.
The latest improvement in the services sector, which accounted for 44 percent of China's GDP in 2011, is yet another indication that the country's economy is rebounding from a slowdown, though at a moderate pace.
After two years of contraction, China's economy grew 7.9 percent from a year earlier in the fourth quarter of 2012. Economists expect the growth rate to rise to 8.1 percent in the first quarter.
Many economists opine that the country should support the economy with steady policies in order to keep the growth momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation