Royal Hoax Aussie DJs Escape Manslaughter Charge Over Death of Nurse Jacintha Saldanha
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2013 11:46 AM EST
Britain's Crown Prosecution Service let off the hook on Friday Australian DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian over manslaughter charges in relation to the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha.
British prosecutors said they could not file charges against the pair, who gained notoriety because of the hoax phone call they made imitating the Queen, due to lack of evidence to support manslaughter charges. While there was some evidence of possible offences under data protection laws, the prosecutors did not further investigate since any potential prosecution would not be in the public interest.
"It is not possible to extradite individuals from Australia in respect of the potential offences in question . . . However misguided, the telephone call was intended as a harmless prank," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Malcolm McHaffie, deputy head of Special Crime at the Crown Prosecution Service.
While the radio programme of the two DJs, who have expressed remorse for their action, had been axed, Austereo network did not fire them but instead said they would be given radio shows later.
Ms Saldanha's family expressed sadness with the court decision.
"The family of Jacintha have been left devastated by her death . . . They are struggling to come to terms with the event that led to it, especially the hoax call. The family still have many unanswered questions and now await the inquest due to start on March 26," News.com.au quoted Labor MP and Indian community leader Keith Vaz who spoke to the nurse's family after the prosecutor's decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
- Peru's Biggest Haul Yields 8.5 Tonnes Of Cocaine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display