Record-Breaking Asteroid Set To Pass By Earth This Month
By Eric Brown | February 4, 2013 10:59 AM EST
An asteroid is about to give Earth a record-breaking close shave, as it comes closer to the planet than any asteroid has before -- even closer than many satellites.
The asteroid, 2012 DA14, is roughly the size of a football field and will pass extremely near Earth on Feb. 15, according to NASA. At its closest, the asteroid will be about 17,200 miles from Earth’s surface, closer than many telecommunications and weather satellites in orbit.
However, NASA insisted the asteroid will not make contact with Earth.
“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in a video released by the U.S. space agency. “It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites.”
The asteroid will enter into low-Earth orbit for a time as it passes by the planet. Other objects at a similar distance from the surface include observational satellites and the International Space Station. Many satellites are even farther above Earth in geosynchronous orbit.
“The odds of an impact with a satellite are extremely remote,” Yeomans stressed. “Almost nothing orbits where DA14 passes the Earth.”
So what would happen if the asteroid did hit Earth? Not too much, really. Because the asteroid is fairly small, the damage wouldn’t be too extreme. Scientists believe an asteroid of similar size struck Arizona about 50,000 years ago, creating the almost 1-mile-wide Meteor Crater. While that asteroid caused a large amount of damage, DA14 would be different, even if it did strike Earth.
"That asteroid was made of iron," Yeomans said, "which made it an especially potent impactor."
Asteroids hit Earth about once every 1,200 years, and DA14 won’t be one of them, according to Yeomans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans