Record-Breaking Asteroid Set To Pass By Earth This Month
By Eric Brown | February 4, 2013 10:59 AM EST
An asteroid is about to give Earth a record-breaking close shave, as it comes closer to the planet than any asteroid has before -- even closer than many satellites.
The asteroid, 2012 DA14, is roughly the size of a football field and will pass extremely near Earth on Feb. 15, according to NASA. At its closest, the asteroid will be about 17,200 miles from Earth’s surface, closer than many telecommunications and weather satellites in orbit.
However, NASA insisted the asteroid will not make contact with Earth.
“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in a video released by the U.S. space agency. “It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites.”
The asteroid will enter into low-Earth orbit for a time as it passes by the planet. Other objects at a similar distance from the surface include observational satellites and the International Space Station. Many satellites are even farther above Earth in geosynchronous orbit.
“The odds of an impact with a satellite are extremely remote,” Yeomans stressed. “Almost nothing orbits where DA14 passes the Earth.”
So what would happen if the asteroid did hit Earth? Not too much, really. Because the asteroid is fairly small, the damage wouldn’t be too extreme. Scientists believe an asteroid of similar size struck Arizona about 50,000 years ago, creating the almost 1-mile-wide Meteor Crater. While that asteroid caused a large amount of damage, DA14 would be different, even if it did strike Earth.
"That asteroid was made of iron," Yeomans said, "which made it an especially potent impactor."
Asteroids hit Earth about once every 1,200 years, and DA14 won’t be one of them, according to Yeomans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of Nowhere And Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Ebola Hits US: Things You Must Know About The Disease And How To Prevent It
- Latest UFO Sighting: Scottish Man Spots Glowing UFO During Live TV Coverage By BBC Of Hong Kong Protests [Watch Video]
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money