Record-Breaking Asteroid Set To Pass By Earth This Month
By Eric Brown | February 4, 2013 10:59 AM EST
An asteroid is about to give Earth a record-breaking close shave, as it comes closer to the planet than any asteroid has before -- even closer than many satellites.
The asteroid, 2012 DA14, is roughly the size of a football field and will pass extremely near Earth on Feb. 15, according to NASA. At its closest, the asteroid will be about 17,200 miles from Earth’s surface, closer than many telecommunications and weather satellites in orbit.
However, NASA insisted the asteroid will not make contact with Earth.
“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in a video released by the U.S. space agency. “It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites.”
The asteroid will enter into low-Earth orbit for a time as it passes by the planet. Other objects at a similar distance from the surface include observational satellites and the International Space Station. Many satellites are even farther above Earth in geosynchronous orbit.
“The odds of an impact with a satellite are extremely remote,” Yeomans stressed. “Almost nothing orbits where DA14 passes the Earth.”
So what would happen if the asteroid did hit Earth? Not too much, really. Because the asteroid is fairly small, the damage wouldn’t be too extreme. Scientists believe an asteroid of similar size struck Arizona about 50,000 years ago, creating the almost 1-mile-wide Meteor Crater. While that asteroid caused a large amount of damage, DA14 would be different, even if it did strike Earth.
"That asteroid was made of iron," Yeomans said, "which made it an especially potent impactor."
Asteroids hit Earth about once every 1,200 years, and DA14 won’t be one of them, according to Yeomans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter