New Yorker’s iPhone 4s Explodes, But Apple Won’t Replace Unit; 8 Tips to Prevent Mobile Phone Batteries from Exploding
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2013 10:48 AM EST
Shibani Bhujle, a New York marketing manager, complained of an incident unexpected by other iPhone users. She said that her one-year-old iPhone 4s spontaneously combusted which burnt her fingers and then oozes a liquid out of the device.
According to Ms Bhujle, her iPhone 4s was on a coffee table when suddenly the device went off randomly. She told VentureBeat that her iPhone was not charging or not connected to its charger and then she smelled fumes from it which made her picked it up; the device was extremely hot.
She tried to turn on the device but it didn't work and then she panicked as the phone continued to emit a burning smell as it heats up. She pried the back of the iPhone, and there she found the melting of the battery and the oozing of its acid.
Opening any Apple device is not a smart move for it will make it a non-serviceable unit. Ms Bhujle was disappointed that no Apple store served any repairs and replacement.
She also talked to numerous Apple employees but ended up with nothing. "This is a product defect with the battery that Apple is refusing to acknowledge and trying to hide. As of now, they have brushed this under the carpet and left it at that. I am in disbelief that they have not even offered a replacement device when it is a manufacturing issue," Ms Bhujle stated.
Apple devices aren't the ones vulnerable to issue such as this. A participant on a Las Vegas hacker's conference in 2012 suffered a burnt butt when his Motorola device heated up from his back pocket.
Lithium Ion-based batteries which are commonly used on most smartphones are smaller and more durable but require more care from the user due to the fact that they are fragile.
Here are some warnings to keep your batteries from exploding and extending its usage:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports