New Yorker’s iPhone 4s Explodes, But Apple Won’t Replace Unit; 8 Tips to Prevent Mobile Phone Batteries from Exploding
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2013 10:48 AM EST
Shibani Bhujle, a New York marketing manager, complained of an incident unexpected by other iPhone users. She said that her one-year-old iPhone 4s spontaneously combusted which burnt her fingers and then oozes a liquid out of the device.
According to Ms Bhujle, her iPhone 4s was on a coffee table when suddenly the device went off randomly. She told VentureBeat that her iPhone was not charging or not connected to its charger and then she smelled fumes from it which made her picked it up; the device was extremely hot.
She tried to turn on the device but it didn't work and then she panicked as the phone continued to emit a burning smell as it heats up. She pried the back of the iPhone, and there she found the melting of the battery and the oozing of its acid.
Opening any Apple device is not a smart move for it will make it a non-serviceable unit. Ms Bhujle was disappointed that no Apple store served any repairs and replacement.
She also talked to numerous Apple employees but ended up with nothing. "This is a product defect with the battery that Apple is refusing to acknowledge and trying to hide. As of now, they have brushed this under the carpet and left it at that. I am in disbelief that they have not even offered a replacement device when it is a manufacturing issue," Ms Bhujle stated.
Apple devices aren't the ones vulnerable to issue such as this. A participant on a Las Vegas hacker's conference in 2012 suffered a burnt butt when his Motorola device heated up from his back pocket.
Lithium Ion-based batteries which are commonly used on most smartphones are smaller and more durable but require more care from the user due to the fact that they are fragile.
Here are some warnings to keep your batteries from exploding and extending its usage:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight