Johnny Depp To Star As Boston Gangster Whitey Bulger In 'Black Mass'
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 4:35 AM EST
The notorious Boston criminal Whitey Bulger will be the subject of a biopic called “Black Mass.” Johnny Depp has signed on to play Bulger in the film, which will be based on the book by Boston Globe reporters Dick Lehr and Gerland O’Neil.
The gangster thriller will be directed by Barry Levinson, the filmmaker behind “The Natural,” “Good Morning Vietnam,” “Rain Man,” and dozens of other critical and commercial hits. The movie is scheduled to begin filming in May, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Depp’s role is a departure from his “Pirates of the Carribbean” films and his coming portrayal of Tonto in “The Lone Ranger,” but fans will remember his depiction of Depression gangster John Dillinger in 2009’s “Public Enemies.”
Bulger, 83, is currently awaiting trial for 19 counts of murder along with charges of drug-dealing, extortion, money-laundering and conspiracy, all allegations he denies. After rising to the top of South Boston’s mob scene decades ago Bulger turned FBI informant in 1975, then again in 1994.
Part of the reason Bulger’s story has gripped Boston for so long is his connections in the Massachusetts State’s Attorney Office. He claimed he was given immunity by the prosecutors but, apparently after a tip from his FBI handler, went into hiding until he was arrested again in 2011.
“I could not be more thrilled to have the biggest star in the world and Academy Award-winning director Barry Levinson to finally bring this incredible story to the big screen," Cross Creek president Brian Oliver said in a statement. "'Black Mass' expertly details the twists and turns of this highly complex story, painting a vivid portrait of Boston's underbelly and its corrupt political machine, as well as exposing the worst scandal in FBI history."
“Black Mass” won’t be the first time the notorious gangster was depicted on the silver screen, though, as Jack Nicholson admitted he used Bulger as an inspiration for his role as Frank Costello in the Oscar- winning movie “The Departed.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide