Johnny Depp To Star As Boston Gangster Whitey Bulger In 'Black Mass'
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 4:35 AM EST
The notorious Boston criminal Whitey Bulger will be the subject of a biopic called “Black Mass.” Johnny Depp has signed on to play Bulger in the film, which will be based on the book by Boston Globe reporters Dick Lehr and Gerland O’Neil.
The gangster thriller will be directed by Barry Levinson, the filmmaker behind “The Natural,” “Good Morning Vietnam,” “Rain Man,” and dozens of other critical and commercial hits. The movie is scheduled to begin filming in May, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Depp’s role is a departure from his “Pirates of the Carribbean” films and his coming portrayal of Tonto in “The Lone Ranger,” but fans will remember his depiction of Depression gangster John Dillinger in 2009’s “Public Enemies.”
Bulger, 83, is currently awaiting trial for 19 counts of murder along with charges of drug-dealing, extortion, money-laundering and conspiracy, all allegations he denies. After rising to the top of South Boston’s mob scene decades ago Bulger turned FBI informant in 1975, then again in 1994.
Part of the reason Bulger’s story has gripped Boston for so long is his connections in the Massachusetts State’s Attorney Office. He claimed he was given immunity by the prosecutors but, apparently after a tip from his FBI handler, went into hiding until he was arrested again in 2011.
“I could not be more thrilled to have the biggest star in the world and Academy Award-winning director Barry Levinson to finally bring this incredible story to the big screen," Cross Creek president Brian Oliver said in a statement. "'Black Mass' expertly details the twists and turns of this highly complex story, painting a vivid portrait of Boston's underbelly and its corrupt political machine, as well as exposing the worst scandal in FBI history."
“Black Mass” won’t be the first time the notorious gangster was depicted on the silver screen, though, as Jack Nicholson admitted he used Bulger as an inspiration for his role as Frank Costello in the Oscar- winning movie “The Departed.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Kaley Cuoco Says ‘Season 8 Here We Come’ In Instagram Video, Sports Pixie Haircut
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop